"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
Feeling blue

Ok, so today I'm feeling very depressed. I can usually hide that I'm a wreck inside, but it's getting to the point that it's driving me crazy. 9 months ago the place I worked closed. We had just bought a new double wide (we had finally got our finances stable enough to purchase) and my daughter was going to college. When I first lost my job, I figured no problem I'm young and can do anything I set my mind to.
Well here it is 9 months later, I still can't find a job. Ive even resorted to applying for the teenager jobs that I said I would never do again. My DH is not very supportive. One time after an interview, I came home and was telling him about it and all he had to say was " I hope you didn't say anything dumb". When I told him what he said bothered me he said he was joking and I needed to get a sence of humor.
I know I should feel blessed because I have my health and my family, But I've never felt as worthless as I feel right now. All our savings is just about gone and I don't know what I'm going to do when it is gone.
I'm trying to stay positive for my 15 YO, I don't want her to worry,but it's getting really hard. When I lost my job I lost most of my freinds, so I don't have anyone to talk to. I just feel like I'm going to explode.
Well I just needed to get some things off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Hang in there somethings gotta give.How big is your town.Alot of places need extra help during the Holidays you might be able to find something temporary until something else comes up.Also what kind of jobs do you usually work there may be other options.I know its hard but try to stay positive it will bring good things eventually.I will send positive vibes your way.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

you haven't lost us, mikki.

when times are tough, you gotta dig down deep and find another reserve, another level of "i can do it". i'll bet you'd be surprised at how resillient you are.

and when things do turn around, as they will (all things in life are cycles), you'll have this time to look back on and be proud of how you made it through.

i know that sounds like banal, patent crap, but it's really the way things work. in an absolute entirety, life ain't all that great when it really is good; it's a matter of perception. so the bad times can be perceived as a beginning of good things to come. right?

and don't let the hubby thing bother you. he's going through this with you, and may not have known how much this is bothering you.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki
But I've never felt as worthless as I feel right now.
Miss Mikki...

Your self worth is not dependent on whether you are employed or not. Whether a butcher, baker, candlestick maker, doctor or lawyer it is not who you are, and has no bearing on your self worth. You are worth far more than any of these. One door has closed...another will open. Have Faith. Anyway, you have a "new" cast iron skillet, and know how to bake cornbread!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Sous Chef

That's beautifully put by Uncle Bob Mikki and I do so agree with him. You are you and a very courageous you at that. Try not to let DH's remarks upset you. Sorry guys, nothing personal, but men don't have a huge gift of tact.!
He has said he didn't mean it and I'm sure wouldn't have intentionally hurt you.

Hang in there. It sounds awful but sometimes you have to reach the bottom before you can climb up again.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Head Chef

My heart goes out to you.
I am in a similar position at my present workplace. We probably will close around New Years.
I am not so young, but I look at as a chance to explore new possibilities I might not have if my normal trades were hiring.
I am getting my resume' together and submitting to the Big Green Egg Company for a sales rep job.(see avatar). I never would have done that if jobs were abundant here. So I have a chance to do something I would love, enjoy and make money at. Plus, I have a few other options I am considering out of nescessity.
So in a nut shell, think outside your box for jobs. You might just end up where you are meant to be.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Sous Chef

jp-I live in a small town outside a very small city that is not booming at all, and thats what is most depressing is that I have tried the temp. retail and I think pretty much every employable place around here and even they don't want to hire me.
UB- you are great! your kind words mean a lot!!!! I am glad I got the skillet,now I need more things to do in it.
Csalt-this is not the only comment,he thinks he can say what he wants to anyone, the it's a joke is the excuse he uses to make it someone elses fault and that's a whole different story of my life.
Thanks for the support,it's what I need!!! In my heart I know I can do anything I set my mind to, but sometimes it's hard to believe in yourself when noone else does.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

well, after being ignored, renee and i feel pretty unsure about ourselves...

Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Bucky-didn't mean to ignore you and Renee, your encouragement is greatly appreciated. Hubby thing will always bother me because I have told him how much I am bothered and he still makes dicouraging comments instead of encouraging.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i was just teasing. thank god you forgot renee or i would have really felt badly.