"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Blanket statements that aren't true? Wow ~ when did I do that? False accusations aren't cool.

I'm totally curious where I pizzed in your Wheaties that you would feel the need to attack me for no reason.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Blanket statements that aren't true? Wow ~ when did I do that? False accusations aren't cool.
Quote:
Cats/kittens are happier when they have friends.
Quote:
But the truth is, cats and kittens need friends.
Yep looks like a blanket statement to me. And yep I can say that it is not always true as I have already pointed out a number of times above.

This has gone on long enough Callisto. I will not let this thread get derailed. Smoke King came here looking for good advice. If you would like to discuss this further feel free to PM me otherwise this needs to get back to his question and nothing else.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Smoke King just give them cat time. It'll eventually become comfortable enough to venture out.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Do you have any other cats? Did she have friends where she was?? Cats/kittens are happier when they have friends.

My cat had four kittens and the person that answered my ad made me feel so much better when he wanted two because he knew kittens were better in pairs. Yours could be looking for a friend especially if she had friends where she was. I can send you a kitten if you want. He's not pretty, but he's got a great personality (see my gallery) ~ kidding because that would be mean to mail a cat somewhere. But the truth is, cats and kittens need friends.
I really have to agree with GB on this one. My cat Scrump is absolutely miserable around other cats. He likes to rule the house and his territory and just does not thrive with other cats around. I also have a couple of close friends (two different friends) who have adopted ferrel cats from a pack, they both love being the only ones in the home and also don't get along with other cats. Every cat is going to be different and have a different personality.

As for getting the OP's cat to be more social, the dh and I sprayed various areas of the house with cat nip spray. The floors in the living room, our bed spread, (the dog) any where we'd like to see the cat hang out. We also have been slipping him capfulls of this stuff called Good Cat that we found at petco and we have seen a marked difference in his behavior and affection levels.

Good luck and like everyone else has said, don't give up.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Interesting. Even my vet here and in Cali and the one my DD interned for said cats are pack animals ~ look at big cat behaviour in the wild. Tigers and lions live in prides where only the ostracized live alone. It's their nature to live in groups. A lion on his own in the wild usually dies. House cats are just small lions and tigers. They need a friend to play with, fight with, and learn natural cat behaviours with.
Actually, lions are the only wild cats to live in big groups, tigers & leopards tend to be solitary, and most of the smaller wild cats are also solitary, apart from when they are mating. Even where feral cats live in colonies, they tend to have their own territories within that colony.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #26
Head Chef

Our non-feral Maine Coon was totally unsociable for 5 years. When I quit working outside the home and started working with her...bribing her with cream (1/2 & 1/2) and getting her to tolerate being stroked before she got her treat she completely turned around - she is now very nearly a "velcro cat" and is on DH's lap as I type this. She still sprints upstairs when the door bell rings and only chooses to be around certain people. One friend of mine only has to say her name before she's in her lap loving her up like mad! She demands to be groomed at least once a day - more if she claims not to have been groomed yet and has developed a voice. She sleeps curled in the crook of DH's knees and comes to bed with us every night. Cats are individuals - the advice of patience is the best.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #27
Sous Chef

My cat hates the vet's office. She recognizes the carrier when I bring it inside the house and will not allow me to catch her. The rest of the time she's calm and affectionate. When I take her to the vet, I call ahead of time, then stop at their office and pick up some tranquilizers that I add to her food.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #28
Head Chef

simplicity, I take the carrier out of the closet and stand it open-side up in the living room, several days before my cat's appointment. So he gets used to it.

When it's time to go, I scoop him up (poor, trusting, unsuspecting baby) and lower his back legs in first then let him go.

(I feel guilty about betraying his trust, but I tell him it's for his own good.)

Lee
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

The last time my wife put the cat carrier out ahead of time we came home from work and the cat was missing. We never saw him again.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The last time my wife put the cat carrier out ahead of time we came home from work and the cat was missing. We never saw him again.
aww GB, sorry that you lost your cat.