"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Feline afficianados?

Once again, I am turning to the smartest people I know!!

My DW got a cat for her birthday. A cute little kitten, she named Bella. Trouble is, its been 3 weeks, and Bella hasn't acclimated herself to us or our home. She spends all day hiding (we are absolutely unable to locate her) and prowls when we're asleep.

On the days when we do catch her, she'll sit with us, let us rub her belly-in short, she seems very comfortable. But the minute we put her down, shes off into her hiding place(s) and we won't see her again until she decides to come out!!

Although I love all animals, I am more a dog person. Any suggestions? She is about 3 months old, and came from a farm, if that makes any difference. I've had to cancel 2 vet appointments because I could'nt locate her, and I am out of ideas!!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Head Chef

She is adjusting to her new home. Patience is all I can say.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Time and love...

Next time she has a dr appointment lock her in the bathroom or some place where you'll be able to find her in the morning. Give her food and a soft bed she'll be fine there over night. Close the lid on the toilet though..
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Give her time. We adopted a cat from a shelter many, many years ago. We brought Topaz home on July 5th. She almost instantly decided to hide upstairs under our daughter's bed. Wouldn't come out no matter what we did to try to coax her. Frustrated, we put a mat with food and water under Nicole's bed and a litter box nearby. Months passed. Really.

Then, for no apparent reason, Topaz came downstairs, as if nothing had been unusual, during the Christmas holidays...5 months later. And, as if that wasn't puzzling enough, she joined the family at the time when my brother, his wife and 3 young sons were visiting us. Our house was filled with 4 adults and 8 children, one of whom received a toy drum set from Santa.

Cats are unusual creatures. Just love her and give her time.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Master Chef

She will adjust . Maybe you can play with her with some toy . I find that helps with bonding.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Head Chef

Treats....offer treats. Those should smoke her out.

Also, you need to play with her more. Let her get use to being held, scritchied etc.

I have had 4 cats and they all have responded to gentle, sweet, caring behavior and silliness.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Head Chef

Will she respond to toys, e.g. catnip mouse, a piece of yarn pulled along the floor, a laser pointer?

Lee
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Head Chef

Since she came from a farm, she probably needs alot of extra time to adjust to being an inside kitty. Just give her time, she'll come out and warm up to you on her own schedule. Kittens and young cats LOVE to run around at night, we called it the midnight crazies. She'll slowly warm up to you and your wife and eventually she'll be snuggling up with you as much as possible.
Congrats on the new addition!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Your cat seems perfectly normal to me. Cats are nocturnal. They spend an average of 16 hours each day sleeping. Some cats are hiders. They will hide for just about any reason. Over time your cat may change after getting more used to you, but this may just be the way it is too. She may just always hide during the day and come out at night.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots View Post
Kittens and young cats LOVE to run around at night, we called it the midnight crazies.
Our Sally (AKA Silly Sally Calli Gal) still has the midnight crazies and she was 1-year-old in June. She's a real ball of fire. Buck also called her "The Rocket" because, when she's awake, she does everything at 500 mph.