FEMA came though for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
A short while ago we had an amazing amount of rain over the course of a week. The climax was the last night of the storm. Buckets and buckets were coming down. The ground was saturated so the water had to find someplace to go. That someplace ended up being my finished basement (and many other peoples basements and houses as well). We had to rip out the carpeting that was down there even though it was only about 3 years old and in great condition (before this of course). There was some other damage too, but thankfully most things were OK. Insurance said they would not cover any of it.

The President finally opened up some Federal money for our county so I applied. I did not expect to get anything, but I was very pleasantly surprised the other day when we got a check in the mail. This is a big deal for us because the downstairs is going to be were Rachel plays and stays out of trouble. The way it is right now we will not let her down there. Now with this money we will be able to make it livable again. I am so thankful this money was given to us!

I'm really happy for you, geebs! I hope your repairs are done quickly and you can enjoy your basement again.

I am going to look into that, too, as part of my guestroom ceiling came down during that same storm. :ohmy:

You live in Worcester County, no? I wonder if Suffolk received the same deal.

THANKS for th einfo

Thanks everyone!

Jenny yeah I am in Worcester County. Check out this page to register for assistance if your county is on the list. I hope it is! They has a FEMA rep come out and take a look and ask some questions. The questions she asked made it sound like we would not be getting anything (just an assumption on our part. She didn't say anything one way or the other). The whole thing took a little over a week from the time I applied to the time we got the check. I could not believe it happened so quickly.

Thanks for the link!

But this is what it said "Residents and business owners in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Norfolk, Plymouth and Worcester counties may be eligible for a variety of state and federal disaster aid programs regardless of their insurance coverage." No Suffolk county. :(

And I live about 300 yards from Norfolk County.

I am going to, but if it goes by counties, my address (in Boston) is in a county not on the list. Strabge that Boston didn't apply for money!:ohmy:

Here, places that were farther inland and above sea level were flooded more badly. I live right by the ocean, pretty much at sea level. But I apparently had a roof that couldn't take the constant week-long deluge.

They said they would have only covered it if is had been caused by a burst pipe or if water was coming from outside and hitting a part of the building first before coming into the house (like if it bounced off the deck and then came into the house).

gb glad it worked out for you. alot of people were s.o.l. when we got the flood. they're insurance wouldn't cover it either. we however got really lucky that ours was covered.

wow, this is amazing, you're paying those bastards for years and then they come and tell you water did not enter the house from the right angle, unbelievable.

Sorry Guys .... but flood damage from natural causes is pretty clearly not covered in any homeowner's policy. That's been the case for a long long time. Not that I work for insurance companies or anything .......:wacko:

You can buy a flood policy from the government, but it only pays up to $250,000.

The interior of my house flooded badly about 6 years ago, but it was because a faulty furnace part caused it to shut down, which, in turn, caused the pipes to freeze while I was away. Insurance paid about $100k.

Back
Top Bottom