"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Fidget quilt for dementia patients

Hi, friends. As many of you know, my MIL lives in a nursing home. Due to uncontrolled diabetes, she had a serious stroke-like episode a couple years ago. Apparently after suffering brain damage like that, people can develop dementia or Alzheimer's disease. That has happened with her.

I came across an ad online for a fidget quilt for dementia patients. It's a lap-size quilt with lots of little things attached to it, like ribbons, zippers, buttons, fabrics with different textures, etc. The idea is that it engages the mind and hands of people with dementia, who often pull at their clothes, and can help calm them.

I found that there are a lot of Etsy stores by people who make these by hand, so I bought one for my MIL. There are lots of colors and styles to choose from. My MIL likes bright colors, flowers and birds. If you sew, of course you could make your own.

Just wanted to share in case you know of someone who might benefit from one of these.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1031171937a.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	28304

Old 11-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Executive Chef

That's neat.

It reminds me of the cloth book I had as a toddler.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vntg-rag-bo...QAAOSwridZ7Q90

Old 11-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What a great idea GG.

I wonder if something like this would have benefitted my mom who had uncontrollable hands/ finger twitches because of her Parkinson's. She was also self conscious about that, and would grab her purse to hold onto on her lap whenever someone came over. Then the twitches stopped as long as she was clutching something.

2ndly, when the grands were both too young to be mobile, they both had several blankies with various things attached to grab ahold of and keep themselves entertained, I guess you are never too young or old for tactile comfort.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, they're also available for babies and toddlers. I've also seen that they're used with children with autism and ADHD. I can see how it might have been helpful for your mom, Whiska.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love those! We have several for our residents. What a thoughtful gift GG!
Old 11-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love those! We have several for our residents. What a thoughtful gift GG!
Thank you, PF I hope that endorsement means they work well. It makes sense to me, but of course I have no experience with people who use it.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

What an awesome idea. I'm really tempted to get one of those for my sweet neighbor, Ann.
She's still in her home thanks to her caregivers, but I don't think it will be for much longer. She loves to fiddle with things and I think she would love something like this.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
What a great idea GG.

I wonder if something like this would have benefitted my mom who had uncontrollable hands/ finger twitches because of her Parkinson's. She was also self conscious about that, and would grab her purse to hold onto on her lap whenever someone came over. Then the twitches stopped as long as she was clutching something.

2ndly, when the grands were both too young to be mobile, they both had several blankies with various things attached to grab ahold of and keep themselves entertained, I guess you are never too young or old for tactile comfort.
My uncle has Parkinson's, and his father suffered from dementia as he got close to his end of life, and it isn't the same. Having something to hold onto helps Parkinson's patients with the uncontrollable body movements. Something like a figit quilt helps a dementia patient by giving them something to focus on.

BTW, a stroke can bring on dementia in someone who might not have developed it otherwise. I have a neighbor about my age who is developing dementia after having two strokes.

CD
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Fidget Quilts - some folks like them, others think they are being treated as a child. May need to wait until last stages of Dementia/Alzheimer's for them to be effective. Some residents are happy holding baby dolls.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not sure what the last stages look like. She sometimes recognizes her family members and sometimes doesn't (my FIL visits her twice a day at lunch and dinner). She can't speak very well and is confined to a wheelchair. So it's hard for me to know.