Finally--no more 18-wheelers on the street where I live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Finally! I've been complaining about the 18-wheeler traffic on the street where I live for months. Until 2013, this street was a gravel road (if I wanted to live on a paved road, I would have...but that is another story). I have nothing against truckers--one of my dearest friends is a long-haul driver, but I was worried about the kids who ride their ponies, bikes, and 4-wheelers on the road. When the road was paved, shoulders were not included. I really didn't want a child on... a pony hit by an 18-wheeler. Ponies/horses shy, children can be distracted, wildlife can dart across the road...maybe I just have an over-active imagination, but I was concerned about the kids on their ponies/horses. They used to ride on the road all the time--and they should be able to do that--this is the COUNTRY.
Woo-hoo! The road is NOT on the list of accepted roads for 18-wheelers in the area. Signs will be going up within 3 weeks. I didn't know there was such a list, but there is and kudos to the City of Ottawa employee who dug deeper and called me back. Finally! I'll sleep better at night once those signs go up (and hopefully Ottawa Police enforce the no-trucks on the road restriction).
It pays to be persistent and not stop calling (and being on hold). It probably helped that the City of Ottawa employee is a personal friend of the folks who had a driver go off the road and die in a fiery crash on their front lawn a bit north on the road about 2 months ago.
There are other routes for those truckers, but the street on which I live is not one of those. Nothing personal to my trucker friends--just didn't like the number of 18-wheelers on the road vs. the number of kids.

I've lived at this address off and on since 1990. I've never seen so many 18-wheelers on the road. Yes, i'm a PITA, but, I'd like to be able to walk / bike on the road w/out having to dive for the ditch when trucks are barreling down the road from opposite directions and I'm caught in the middle. But I'm not on a pony or a horse. And I can drag my dogs in the ditch with me. I stopped walking because of the traffic.

I like the way you presented this and it's indeed good news! Many of those drivers are parents too and would certainly be able to see your point. Going out of the way is a good thing sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom