"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Head Chef

I have finished my christmas shopping, hoorah! I leave for Italy in exactly a week, so had to make sure I had left something for everybody here, and take stuff for DH and the cats! I have all my Xmas cards stamped and ready to post and everything is even wrapped. Now I just have to make everything I am taking fit in my little car! I have already started filling it, but I think its going to be a big squash, even though I got a roofrack and box fitted. I guess that I will have to take things out and repack several times to make it all fit.

I am feling pretty smug now that I think I've done it all, but I bet I have forgotten something or someone. I usually get my cards done on time, but then forget people or have to find a present last minute, so I hope planning everything will have worked.

Anyone else ready before December is even here?

In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Head Chef
Wow... you rock! I am still in 'ideas' mode. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm gonna get and from where, and I guess that if I had to go somewhere in a week with gifts in hand I might be done, too.

Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
Master Chef
You can always do mine ..... I haven't even started.....I know I know......but this year I will not wait till Christmas Eve to do the largest of my shopping or wait to wrap most of the presents........I solomely swear. I'll kick it in gear tomorrow.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Head Chef
Sizz, I'll do your shopping if you'll drive my car through France to Italy for me! I have an English car...ie steering wheel on the right, and of course, on the continent, its meant to be on the left, I've not done it before and its a long drive, so shopping sounds a good alternative, specially as my cats are going to "sing" the whole way there!
In omnibus amor et iustum
lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Head Chef
Just about done here, have a few things to get the grand kids and the critters.Got my cards and a gift sent out today. I do have some specicalcards to make this evening tho and will get them out by the end of the week. I'm ahead of myself compared to other years.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Sous Chef
I have not even started getting my list together at this point - At the rate I am going it will be a last minute rush through the mall on Christmas Eve!!!!
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye - but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those!"
Reanie525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Haven't hardly started... sadness....lol.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
I'm done with Billy's. Still got to get the b/f is parents and his grandparents. I'm done with my nieces my sister my mom and my aunt.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Not even started. For pete's sake, it was 72 degrees here today! hard to get in the spirit.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm one of those rare(?) people who shops all year for Christmas. I "stash" all the gifts in a spare bedroom and keep track of what needs to be purchased when it gets close to Christmastime.

Since all of our children live some distance, I have to be sure everything's done in a timely manner because the gifts have to be shipped. At least, this year, all the children live in the U.S. That wasn't the case when we had sons in the military.

I also usually make quite a few of the gifts we give. This year, for some of the grandchildren, it's knitted toy animals. I also made a cable-knit sweater vest for my mother-in-law in her favorite color. I also made a valance for her kitchen window. She's 92 and very hard to buy for because whenever she sees something she wants, she buys it. That's maddening. Although, she has requested a variety of my homemade bread, so she'll definitely get that, too.

I've also put together several "soup" baskets for friends. I made a multiple dried bean soup mix; bagged it in glassine bags, wrapped each bag in a tea towel and tied a wooden spoon on. I'll add some homemade bread and the recipes.

I still have a few other gifts to make/put together, but I'm almost done, too.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote