"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Thumbs up Firefox 2.0 Officially Released

Firefox 2.0 has officially been released. i downloaded it last night and I am loving it. The best feature, IMO, is the built in spell checker. Now when typing messages in places like DC the spell checker automatically goes to work without me having to do anything. How convenient is that?

Give Firefox 2.0 a try, even if you still want to use Internet explorer. You have have them both loaded on your computer at the same time. They can both be used at the same time even.

Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Hey, another Firefox user! On it now. Love it. Low learning curve, very few quirks. Only occasionally do I use explorer. Use Thunderbird religiously, too. Gather you're not a Bill fan?!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Well I am not a Bill hater like a lot of people. I think without him we would not have a lot of what we have today. But IE is so far behind the times that it is painful. Not to mention how vulnerable it makes your computer.

Firefox just makes so much sense. It works so well and it is actually fun to use.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Sous Chef

We just installed it yesterday. I guess I'm just so used to IE that I'm having a bit of a problem with the small differences. One thing in particular is bugging me, but maybe I'm doing something wrong (you'll be able to tell by my phrasing here that I'm not that well-versed in computer-speak): When I have one window open, I often Ctrl N to open another window so that I can access another page on the same site and have both accessible. But with Firefox, Ctrl N doesn't open the same window; it opens a window that shows my homepage. Is there any easy way to do what I'm used to? Opening another tab for this purpose would be no easier.

I'm also finding that on some sites, Firefox seems to be somewhat slower than the latest IE 7.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Yes you can do that Suzy. Here is one way. I am sure there are others. Do you see the "New Tab" and "New Window" buttons on the top of your browser? Do you also see the little icon in the address bar next to where it says http://www.whatever.com? Each page will show a different icon. On this page it was show a DC icon.

What you want to do is click on that icon and drag it to either the new tab or new window button and then release. That should do what you are looking for.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Well I am not a Bill hater like a lot of people. I think without him we would not have a lot of what we have today. But IE is so far behind the times that it is painful. Not to mention how vulnerable it makes your computer.

Firefox just makes so much sense. It works so well and it is actually fun to use.
Hate's a strong word in any event. I agree he deserves a bit of ... karma! ... for what he's done for this world, but I do resent their attempts to monopolize. Anyhow. Didn't actually realize Firefox was supposed to make one less vulnerable. Why, because it's less targeted?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Anyhow. Didn't actually realize Firefox was supposed to make one less vulnerable. Why, because it's less targeted?
That is exactly right. IE still dominated the industry so people who make spyware and adware and viruses, etc. write them with IE in mind. Since I have switched to Firefox my instances of these problems have dropped to almost zero. Of course as Firefox becomes more and more popular this may change, but I don't see that happening for quite a while, if ever.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Here are some other reasons Firefox is more secure.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Yes you can do that Suzy. Here is one way. I am sure there are others. Do you see the "New Tab" and "New Window" buttons on the top of your browser? Do you also see the little icon in the address bar next to where it says http://www.whatever.com? Each page will show a different icon. On this page it was show a DC icon.

What you want to do is click on that icon and drag it to either the new tab or new window button and then release. That should do what you are looking for.
Yahoo! -- er, I mean, Yay! That does work. I dragged it to new tab and voila.

Okay, so how about this minor nit: I'm used to having my history show up as a sidebar. With Firefox, when I click on history, I get a brief look at just the most recent. If I want the complete list as a sidebar, I have to Ctrl H. I tried to see whether I can customize it to make that permanent rather than always having to Ctrl H but didn't see that option. Any idea?

Are you finding that Firefox is slower on some sites than IE 7?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I don't use the sidebars so unfortunately I won't be able to help you with that one. What I have found is that anything you can do in IE you can do in FF for the most part. It is just a matter of figuring out how. You can try asking that question here. I have found the people on that site very quick and helpful (just like at DC )

As for the slowness, I have only noticed that on one page that I go to. For the rest of the sites I go to (thousands of them) I do not notice a difference. That is not to say that there isn't one, but I just don't notice.