"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Firefox

A few of weeks ago, I upgraded to Internet Explorer 7. I really liked some of the features such as the tabs. Then the big security problem arose and I got concerned.

As a result, I switched from IE7 to Firefox. I like it. It works well and may be a little faster. Itís not remarkably different from IE but I like most of the differences. Spell check is easier to use and I like the way it handles Bookmarks and auto fills internet addresses.

I have saved a list of desirable add-ons from an earlier thread and will start working on those soon, perhaps after vacation.

I do have a couple of issues and Iím hoping someone can offer a solution. Itís minor stuff.

First, I had set my computer to have the cursor jump to the default option when a window came up. That is, when you choose a function and have to click on OK to select it, my cursor jumps to the OK button so I donít have to move it there myself. With the installation of FF, that function doesnít work anymore.

Second is the scroll up/down arrows. I had them set to jump 3 or 4 lines at a time. With the installation of FF, it moves one line at a time.

I went to the appropriate menu and the options showed the settings I wanted but the system doesnít respond that way. So I reset the two options to the settings I wanted and rebooted. That didnít work.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Andy...I think GB is a big Firefox user...can you contact him?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Black has become white, up is now down. Did I read this right? Andy switched to Firefox???

Welcome to the dark side my friend.

Unfortunately, your questions are a little beyond my knowledge. I am sure there has to be a way to do both of those things, but I do not know how. You might want to check out the mozilla forums as there is a screen you can get to by typing a code into your URL field that lets you customize FF in many many ways. You need to know what to look for and what to change though. I bet someone over at the Mozilla forums would be able to tell you exactly what to do and then some.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Master Chef

I use FF, too, but I have no idea of your wants, 'cause I don't use that....
Just downloaded the Speed Dial-Function I also have in my Opera and I had missed that at the Fox...
did you search for addons?
-> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I've been using Firefox for years. Well before IE had tabbed browsing which is why I switched. I can't compare it to IE because I haven't used IE in so long!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
there is a screen you can get to by typing a code into your URL field that lets you customize FF in many many ways.
Here is what I was talking about. Andy, scroll through here and see if any of these options are what you are looking for. They may or may not be in there, but you also might find some other things you want to change.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Hmm for some reason my link it not working. Try copying and pasting this into your browser...

About:config entries - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Darn that did not work either. OK go to that page anyway and you will see a search box. Type in "about:config" (without the quotes) and that will bring up the page.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
off topic - GB, I had to give Andy M karma for having the guts to post this while you are still around!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
off topic - GB, I had to give Andy M karma for having the guts to post this while you are still around!
It takes a big man!!!