First bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I just had to show you all this photo...It's the first bloom for this particular orchid.
It had two buds, but a squirrel ate one. Danged tree rat. I moved it in off the deck so he couldn't get the other one.

Attachments

• purple orchid resized.jpg
    purple orchid resized.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 198
Very nice. My Mom grows orchids. I bought her 1 from an orchid show in Fl cause it was her birthday. I think it didn't bloom for like 4 or 5 years lol. Then one day she went out to water and lo and behold it was forming buds! Very pretty. Now the thing blooms like mad.

It's a beautiful flower Constance. Mine started sprouting and stopped. The grown ones began drying up. What fertilizer do you use for your orchids?

Bob, the orchid is species Cattleya labiata, but I don't know the particular variety, as it's one that was given to me by an old family friend, now deceased.

Dina, when they're in the green house, I don't have that problem. But when I put them outside, some days the humidity is too low for them, and the buds dry up. Try putting your potted orchid in a bowl atop a layer if pebbles, which you will keep moist. That will increase the humidity around the plants.
Imagine the rain forest, where they grew.

In regard to fertilizer, I put a time release fertilizer in the pots, then feed them Miracle Grow during the growing season. But...I need to do some research on that, because the blooms on my white orchids are much smaller than they should be.

Uncle Bob, I knew the orchid was an old classic, so I looked it up. The variety is Blc. Memoria Crispin Rosales ‘Victory’.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom