"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

I was fishing the Chama river in northern New Mexico.

It was fall so the spring runoff had subsided and the conditions were perfect.

I was wading upstream working the pocket water and deep runs to my left and right with a wooly worm pattern, black body, auburn hackle and orange tail.

It was the end of a great day and we were all in the "just one more cast" mode, each working our stake feverishly before we lost daylight and had to hoof it back to camp.

The vanilla scent of the pines was wafting over us on a cool breeze and life was soooo good.

I happened to notice the dorsal fin of a good sized trout that was hugging the bank on my left. My heart was pounding! There's nothing like sight fishing.

I took a deep breath, made my cast and dropped that fly
into the current six feet in front of that trout the whole while thinking "natural drift! natural drift! Natural drift!!!!!!" as I gently took the slack out of my line.

I saw the fin dart upstream to meet meet the fly and set the hook. Wham!

Rainbows are acrobats and take to the air when hooked but this fish dove for the deep so I knew I had a big brown. Fish on!

I played him, no, sorry he played me, and I managed to get him close enough to net. Now it gets tricky. I can't tell you how many trout get lost at the net.

I managed to net him and he was a beautiful healthy 26" brown. A true jewel of the high desert. Gleaming orange, yellow and red spots along the lateral line.

I had hooked him in the lower jaw so it was an easy release.

It had been a great day. The icing was on the cake and we were ready for beers, dinner and a campfire.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
I was fishing the Chama river in northern New Mexico.

It was fall so the spring runoff had subsided and the conditions were perfect.

I was wading upstream working the pocket water and deep runs to my left and right with a wooly worm pattern, black body, auburn hackle and orange tail.

It was the end of a great day and we were all in the "just one more cast" mode, each working our stake feverishly before we lost daylight and had to hoof it back to camp.

The vanilla scent of the pines was wafting over us on a cool breeze and life was soooo good.

I happened to notice the dorsal fin of a good sized trout that was hugging the bank on my left. My heart was pounding! There's nothing like sight fishing.

I took a deep breath, made my cast and dropped that fly
into the current six feet in front of that trout the whole while thinking "natural drift! natural drift! Natural drift!!!!!!" as I gently took the slack out of my line.

I saw the fin dart upstream to meet meet the fly and set the hook. Wham!

Rainbows are acrobats and take to the air when hooked but this fish dove for the deep so I knew I had a big brown. Fish on!

I played him, no, sorry he played me, and I managed to get him close enough to net. Now it gets tricky. I can't tell you how many trout get lost at the net.

I managed to net him and he was a beautiful healthy 26" brown. A true jewel of the high desert. Gleaming orange, yellow and red spots along the lateral line.

I had hooked him in the lower jaw so it was an easy release.

It had been a great day. The icing was on the cake and we were ready for beers, dinner and a campfire.
Oh yehhhhh

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North

Oh yehhhhh

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Laughing!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Poo was just a baby cutting his teeth. Miserable kid. There was a lake within walking distance. I put him in the carriage and headed out. The movement of the carriage and the fresh air helped him sleep. Went to the far side of the lake where there weren't any people.

Neighbor heard about my jaunts to the lake. Asked if he could come along for some fishing. Wanted some company. He brought me a pole. I really wasn't in the mood for fishing. Just wanted to make the baby happy. So I threw my line in, laid back down on the grass and before you knew it I had a bite. Neighbor was a little ticked off. Here he was following all the rules of fishing and I was the one catching them. At the end of a couple of hours, baby's mother had six, neighbor had none. I let him take them home and tell his family about his great catch. To this day, it has been our secret. Eventually it got too cold to take the baby out there and the trips came to an end.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

if pictures are worth a thousand words, here's a few thousand words from this past year:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	17039

Name:	IMG_0656.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	17038

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	17040

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	17041

Name:	IMG_0682.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	17042

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Went fishing with a high school friend in Robert Moses state park. He caught the only fish. It was a 20 pond stripped bass on a bucktail borrowed from me.

Used to go flounder fishing in Cold Spring Harbor with my dad. He manned the outboard and I hauled the anchor. My reward was to eat the clams scraped up on the mushroom anchor.

Three pound winter flounder and five pound weakfish used to be fairly common in my area; not so in the past 25 years.

I'm partial to tautog but have not caught any in quite a while.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

bt, what is the name of the fish in the second picture?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

addie, it's a smoothe dogfish, also known as a sand shark. they look like it, but they're really not sharks.

don't tell my boy that, though.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
addie, it's a smoothe dogfish, also known as a sand shark. they look like it, but they're really not sharks.

don't tell my boy that, though.
My lips are sealed. What a brave boy. He caught a BIG dangerous shark all by himself. I now feel safer in the water.

I am more afraid of that one with the teeth.