Fishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I most certainly am and YES i do cook my own catch - getting loads of mackrel round here at this time of year and been trying (not very successfully) to make pate' - Bass is the thing everyone is after but I never seem to land one - mind you, the ones that get away are always MASSIVE...!!!

How about you?

P.S - do you know anything about eating/cooking Dog Fish? People round here (east sussex - south coast UK) say they are inedible but somebody told me they were pretty good if you knew what you were doing - I don't and wondered if anyone could help!

Thanks x

Check out the pic in the album and excuse the dodgey hat - it was cold ok!

I'm no expert but I do love fishing. And I do filet them, and bread and fry them, or bake them and eat them, yum. Mostly crappies, blue gills, perch, northern pike and large mouth bass. My favorite time to go is around 3 or 4 on a summer day and stay until it gets dark, then head back to the boat landing. The sunsets are beautiful and the fishing is better at sunset.

I haven't fished since moving from the LI,NY waterfront to VA 15 years ago. Prior to that, I fished & crabbed frequently throughout my NY life with my grandparents, parents, & then my husband.

And yes - I did clean & cook my catches, which consisted of flounder, fluke, weakfish, tommycod, bluefish, baby bluefish (aka "snappers"), porgies, blackfish, etc., etc. Virtually anything that swam along the Long Island, NY, shores.

Our fishing is very different to what you have over there, I live 1/2 way along the Great Barrier Reef and our reef fish are very mild in flavour so we rarely add anything to them flavour wise. CeliaGates talks about Mackerel, we also have several different species with the Spanish Mackerel growing to around 65KG or better
86256598_71e61d57c3_m.jpg
Son Brett with a 60KG fish. Here are both sons with a couple of nice Grey Mackerel
2685141852_655b271cc9_m.jpg
one severely eaten by a shark. I don't have any personal photos of our reef fish but you can see by this link that fish are plentiful. Great Barrier Reef - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We also have excellent estuary fishing for Barramundi and many other species, and my favourite seafood, the Queensland Mud Crab [my avatar photo]

Trout, just clean it, put it in a grill basket over a wood fire.

I love fishing but don't do enough of it. My uncle has a lake house in Athens, Tx and I like to catch panfish off the dock. I like catfishing too, just sink the hook and wait overnight! I grew up about 15 mintues away from Galveston bay but we never did much more than go crabbing with a string and some chicken wings.

Any expert anglers here? If so, do you cook your own catch?
I purchased a fly rod and real early spring but I'm not getting any chances to buy my license & and flies :(

I'm spending too much money & time on college to even take a break, But in the long run I'm going to be able to get a job, wife, boat!

Not in any order per say!

what's a "real early spring?" as in you "purchased a fly rod and real early spring"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom