"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Fitness and the holidays....

with thanksgiving less than two weeks off, and coming on fast, i'm beginning to freak a little bit about a plan for eating for the holidays, between thanksgiving and new year's. ideally, i would like to enjoy most of my favorite holiday foods and specialties without seriously derailing my fitness and health goals of the past several months.

i would like to strike a happy medium between gluttony and downright deprivation for this holiday season's indulgences but am unsure how to proceed. how are those of you who are fitness-conscious planning to go about it? must it involve more exercising or gym time? does anyone have a method that has worked for them over a stretch of time like this before? sure would appreciate any suggestions you might have for me--this year i'm serious, for real....

Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Master Chef

keep to reasonable portions of dishes.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I keep up my walking. If it's too cold, then the recumbent bike/rowing machine. I try to keep my exercise routine, and not pig out too much....
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just read in Real Simple magazine, that the majority of people only gain 0.8 pounds in those weeks from Thanksgiving to New Year's. That's 5 extra minutes of exercise over what you normally do. Embrace the holidays, enjoy yourself and take your new knowledge of diet and exercise with you. Eat the pie, just eat half of what you used to. By now, you are already eating smaller portions, stick to it. Just do not deny yourself something you really love or you could cause a train wreck that is hard to recover from.

Good Luck, Vit. I have great confidence in you!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

thanks for the vote of confidence, pf. i'm gonna give it my best, but i'm afraid i've always been way better with second helpings than with portion control.... :)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence, pf. i'm gonna give it my best, but i'm afraid i've always been way better with second helpings than with portion control.... :)
Eat the first servings. Set up the second helping, cover it and put it in the fridge. If you are still hungry 20 minutes later, allow your self half of what you have squirreled away. I truly think you will find that you can't eat as much as you used to.

Makes Thanksgiving leftovers last a bit longer!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Master Chef

if nothing else, drink a few beverages- seltzer, skim milk,- half hour before dinner. dried fruits (not candied), & plain, unprocessed nuts put a damper on hunger, too.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Wine Guy

Here's my plan:
  • Small dinner plate
  • Vegetables must cover 3/4 of plate real estate
  • No piling on
  • No seconds
  • Eat slowly and drink lots of water
Actually, it's the same plan I've been following for the last three months. I'm not going to change what I've been doing because it's been working thus far.

As far as exercise, I've been trying to do 30 minutes a day of something, even if it's just walking.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Research has shown that having a cup of broth-based soup or salad before a meal can reduce calories eaten at that meal by up to 20 percent. So having a light starter can help.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Executive Chef

i certainly appreciate all the help i've been getting from my dc friends with regard to wanting to stay fit during the upcoming major holidays. i will be putting some of your good ideas to use myself for the next few months. thank you all for sharing your suggestions with me.

steve, i was hoping you might "weigh in" here after reading your post in today's dinner thread. congrats to you for your impressive loss of 35 lbs.--way to go!
i like your idea of going heavy with the veggies, and will be incorporating that idea in my own meals. to an extent, i have already increased my veggie ratio with good results. and it allows me to have larger portions of food, too. which i like.

and gg, your suggestion about prefacing meals with broth or salad also appeals to me, and makes me actually feel like i am getting to eat more, not less, in that way.

this year i am determined to enjoy the holiday feasts and treats without going overboard. too often, anyway. i want to maintain the weight loss i have achieved since august. i'm not a natural dieter, so i really need to get this right the first time. good luck to us all with our holiday festivities--we foodies don't necessarily have to be fatties, after all.... :)