"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I don't let mine babies out because I live in the country where wild animals roam.
We have deer, and I've seen what I think was a fox on the side of the road once in 3 years, but I don't think there's that much out there. My little girl (see the picture of her in the aerogarden thread) got out for 12 days and in that time she didn't seem to encounter anyone life threatening.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Master Chef

We did live in Egypt for 6 years and left Liono with inlaws in Texas but acquired a Persian and a Siamese from friend's litters while over there---we would not let them outdoors. Rabies is a big problem there as well as feral cats and desert foxes.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

My boys and girls all bug me to go out, esp in the hours leading up to dawn! My bed becomes a trampoline as one cat and then the other jump onto the bed head to look out the window or play chasey over my previously sleeping body. I get them in from mid-morning til lunchtime if I am home for their nap and they get to go out again until leading up to dusk. They are only allowed out when either me or my mum are here. As you are leading up to spring, and he is not desexed yet, I would be cautious of letting him out without a lead as he will probably want to go find himself a queen, and then they can stray. But as you have an undesexed female as well, you probably have a bigger problem having them both in the house at the same time, unless you want kittens. I think i would be talking to the vet about a financial arrangement if possible. It may be cheaper than having kittens to deal with as well at this point in time for you. We have a Cat Steralisation Society here that subsidises the ops to ensure less unwanted kittens. It may be worth enquiring if you have something similar where you are.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
My boys and girls all bug me to go out, esp in the hours leading up to dawn! My bed becomes a trampoline as one cat and then the other jump onto the bed head to look out the window or play chasey over my previously sleeping body. I get them in from mid-morning til lunchtime if I am home for their nap and they get to go out again until leading up to dusk. They are only allowed out when either me or my mum are here. As you are leading up to spring, and he is not desexed yet, I would be cautious of letting him out without a lead as he will probably want to go find himself a queen, and then they can stray. But as you have an undesexed female as well, you probably have a bigger problem having them both in the house at the same time, unless you want kittens. I think i would be talking to the vet about a financial arrangement if possible. It may be cheaper than having kittens to deal with as well at this point in time for you. We have a Cat Steralisation Society here that subsidises the ops to ensure less unwanted kittens. It may be worth enquiring if you have something similar where you are.
good point, Bilby. Perhaps the Humane Society or shelter may have a reduced fee for spay/neutering.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Our two cats get to go outside in the day via a cat door but in the afternoon they get locked in the house . We have many ,many predators here that consider cats an appetizer.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I live right downtown so my cats have to stay in. Of course, in the spring they get very devious trying to figure out ways to escape.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

This thread reminds me of something that goes through my head whenever we pass a house that is for sale. We're not looking for a house, but the thought always comes. I think either, "Too close to the road for cats," or "That's a good one for cats." LOL

Barbara
Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
This thread reminds me of something that goes through my head whenever we pass a house that is for sale. We're not looking for a house, but the thought always comes. I think either, "Too close to the road for cats," or "That's a good one for cats." LOL

Barbara
So do I Barbara!!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #19
Master Chef

I do, too......ok we're not so weird after all.......