Five Month Old Cat Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
He's too big to be a kitten ;). He got a taste of outside, and came back two times and one I found him by the car and brought him in. Now he is howling at the door whenever he's not sleeping. Is he too young to go outside since he obviously knows where he lives? We live in a culdusac so he isn't in too much danger from car traffic and he's huge. He's bigger than two of my full grown females. I just don't know if it is safe. My others have no interest in outside (females). It's just the boys that seems to want to be out.

Is he neutered? If not, then it could be the problem of wanting to go out.
I've had 11 cats over the years, all of them have been spayed and neutered and lived indoors. The only time they are *outdoors* is screened in porch, which is attached to the house.

I've only had male cats and none of them wanted to go outside, but they've all been neutered anyway.

Which reminds me, spring is just around the corner. Watch the papers for all the ads for free kittens from people who have unaltered cats they let roam. This is a terrible time of year for rescues and shelters.

Our cats went out by that age.

BTW, here is a tip for if you move or get a new cat. When you get there (or get the new cat home) rub a little butter into its front paws. It will pick up the scent of home when it licks its paws and shouldn't have any problems knowing where it lives.

:)Barbara

BTW, here is a tip for if you move or get a new cat. When you get there (or get the new cat home) rub a little butter into its front paws. It will pick up the scent of home when it licks its paws and shouldn't have any problems knowing where it lives.

Well no wonder they all come back home, DD leaves the butter out all the time and I'm constantly finding kitty prints in it. He finally went off to sleep but I'm sure he'll be bugging me again soon.

How interesting. I've never heard that before. Thanks!

I've let all my "babies" outdoors and luckily all of them stayed pretty much close to home except for one and noone could tell Liono what to do....but he lived to the ripe old age of 13 nontheless....but we were also vigilant with vaccinations and vet visits....also the neighborhoods that we lived in were safe as you can get.

I've let all my "babies" outdoors and luckily all of them stayed pretty much close to home except for one and noone could tell Liono what to do....but he lived to the ripe old age of 13 nontheless....but we were also vigilant with vaccinations and vet visits....also the neighborhoods that we lived in were safe as you can get.

I don't let mine babies out because I live in the country where wild animals roam. :)

I don't let mine babies out because I live in the country where wild animals roam. :)

Do the deer and the antelope play, too?
:LOL:

Feral cats don't last too long around where I live either. And by feral, I mean a cat without a collar and off its property.

We have deer, and I've seen what I think was a fox on the side of the road once in 3 years, but I don't think there's that much out there. My little girl (see the picture of her in the aerogarden thread) got out for 12 days and in that time she didn't seem to encounter anyone life threatening.

We did live in Egypt for 6 years and left Liono with inlaws in Texas but acquired a Persian and a Siamese from friend's litters while over there---we would not let them outdoors. Rabies is a big problem there as well as feral cats and desert foxes.

My boys and girls all bug me to go out, esp in the hours leading up to dawn! My bed becomes a trampoline as one cat and then the other jump onto the bed head to look out the window or play chasey over my previously sleeping body. I get them in from mid-morning til lunchtime if I am home for their nap and they get to go out again until leading up to dusk. They are only allowed out when either me or my mum are here. As you are leading up to spring, and he is not desexed yet, I would be cautious of letting him out without a lead as he will probably want to go find himself a queen, and then they can stray. But as you have an undesexed female as well, you probably have a bigger problem having them both in the house at the same time, unless you want kittens. I think i would be talking to the vet about a financial arrangement if possible. It may be cheaper than having kittens to deal with as well at this point in time for you. We have a Cat Steralisation Society here that subsidises the ops to ensure less unwanted kittens. It may be worth enquiring if you have something similar where you are.

My boys and girls all bug me to go out, esp in the hours leading up to dawn! My bed becomes a trampoline as one cat and then the other jump onto the bed head to look out the window or play chasey over my previously sleeping body. I get them in from mid-morning til lunchtime if I am home for their nap and they get to go out again until leading up to dusk. They are only allowed out when either me or my mum are here. As you are leading up to spring, and he is not desexed yet, I would be cautious of letting him out without a lead as he will probably want to go find himself a queen, and then they can stray. But as you have an undesexed female as well, you probably have a bigger problem having them both in the house at the same time, unless you want kittens. I think i would be talking to the vet about a financial arrangement if possible. It may be cheaper than having kittens to deal with as well at this point in time for you. We have a Cat Steralisation Society here that subsidises the ops to ensure less unwanted kittens. It may be worth enquiring if you have something similar where you are.

good point, Bilby. Perhaps the Humane Society or shelter may have a reduced fee for spay/neutering.

:) Our two cats get to go outside in the day via a cat door but in the afternoon they get locked in the house . We have many ,many predators here that consider cats an appetizer.

This thread reminds me of something that goes through my head whenever we pass a house that is for sale. We're not looking for a house, but the thought always comes. I think either, "Too close to the road for cats," or "That's a good one for cats." LOL

This thread reminds me of something that goes through my head whenever we pass a house that is for sale. We're not looking for a house, but the thought always comes. I think either, "Too close to the road for cats," or "That's a good one for cats." LOL

So do I Barbara!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom