"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Flavoured beer?

Hello,

as a German I like my beer pure. Also I know that Frenchmen usually look down on beer. (The last time I saw a Frenchman drinking beer instead of wine he explained that to me by quoting Nietsche: "What doesn't kill me makes me harder.")

Recently I learned flavoured beer had become popular in France. They produce even beer which tastes like chocolate. (To me that sounds like roast of wild boar with white chocolate sauce, a dish allegedly served in the UK.)

Unfortunately I cannot get hold of that kind of French beer because among its ingredients there are stabilisers which are forbidden in Germany.

What do you think? Have you even tasted beer with fancy flavours?

Maybe in Canada?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I am not a fan of flavored beer. I enjoy the taste of beer with no chocolate, no fruit.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #3
Wine Guy

The closest I've come to trying flavored beer is the Belgian Lambic style, which is sometimes brewed with fruit. I can't say I hate it, nor can I say I like it. It's just.... interesting.

Beer Guide: What is Lambic Beer? | The Kitchn
Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Although flavoured craft beers are the current rage in the United States, I, like you, prefer beer flavoured beer, just like I prefer coffee flavoured coffee. I don't even let the bartender put a slice of lime in the neck of my Corona bottle.

That said, the company I consult with is currently marketing multiple products that can be used by professional and amateur craft brewers to flavour their beers, so although I may not agree with flavouring beers, I was obligated to write the copy for their Brewers Guide.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I've had a nice chipotle craft beer. Blueberry beer. But, they still tasted like beer. There was just a subtle flavour in the background. The closest I've been to a really flavoured beer is a radler.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't drink. But I have to ask "why?" Why do they have to mess around with a product that has been with us since the beginning of time. And nobody complained about the product in all those centuries.

Regarding France, I wonder how they would feel if other countries started to mess with flavoring their wines. Chocolate wine. Certainly doesn't sound appealing.

I have a lot of friends that drink beer, not to even get a buzz on, but because they enjoy the taste. They take it slowly and enjoy eat sip. Sometimes to hear them talk, you would think they had just discovered the nectar of the gods. I doubt they would find chocolate in their beer a great additive.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
Wine Guy

The only chocolate beer I'm familiar with is a style called "chocolate stout." It normally contains no chocolate, but rather the name comes from the flavor of the roasted malt. I've had some of these before and have to say they are not bad.

There are even a few chocolate stouts made in Germany.

Kraft-Br?u Chocolate Stout
Zwönitzer Chocolate Stout
Spital Manufaktur Chocolate Stout

Surprisingly, Chocolate and Beer are considered a good pairing. I've seen several classes offered. So I guess I wouldn't knock it without trying it.

Beer and Chocolate Pairing- Where to Start? | Mendocino Brewing
Serious Beer Pairings: Chocolate and Beer for Valentine's Day | Serious Eats

And as for Chocolate Wine... yes, there already is such a thing. Several of them, actually.

http://www.chocolatrougewine.com/
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm Danish and Swedish. I have no interest in flavoured beer. Sounds wrong to me. Sounds like something made for children.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't drink beer, but there are many varieties out there already. When we visited one of our former exchange students in Germany, his father took us to a beer market. Germans have different beers for every season and it's a different style from many American beers. I don't think there's anything wrong with experimenting with new flavors. If some people like it, why not?

I have tried a few beers at one of our local craft breweries, including one with a chocolate background flavor. I don't think they actually add chocolate to it.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
The only chocolate beer I'm familiar with is a style called "chocolate stout." It normally contains no chocolate, but rather the name comes from the flavor of the roasted malt. I've had some of these before and have to say they are not bad.

There are even a few chocolate stouts made in Germany.

Kraft-Br?u Chocolate Stout
Zwönitzer Chocolate Stout
Spital Manufaktur Chocolate Stout

Surprisingly, Chocolate and Beer are considered a good pairing. I've seen several classes offered. So I guess I wouldn't knock it without trying it.

Beer and Chocolate Pairing- Where to Start? | Mendocino Brewing
Serious Beer Pairings: Chocolate and Beer for Valentine's Day | Serious Eats

And as for Chocolate Wine... yes, there already is such a thing. Several of them, actually.

ChocolatRouge - Chocolate and Red Wine - The Perfect Combination
I wonder if Sam Adams is going to be trying this next. Each year they bring out a new beer that is for sale for only a month or two.

Tags
beer