"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Flax Seed

Hey Guys

I just recently retired and relocated to west Texas. During that process I had to introduce myself to a new doctor and have my medical records transferred from Dallas.

My new doctor is a very nice lady and we discussed my general health, I have been blessed with generaly good health but I do take a blood pressure medicine.

During our discussion I asked about herbs and foods that were good for us to consume. She discussed avoiding as much as possible the usual suspects, fried foods, processed foods, high fat foods. She did mention flax seed, she said it was very good for lowering cholesterol and maintaining a healthy body. She maintains it contains the Omega 5 oils that are in the fish that we consue.

My question for you guys is do any of you use flax seed or have any experience with it. One thing is she told me it was a blood thinner but that shouldn't be an issue for me.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Head Chef

Talking

I never heard of Flax Seed but I am certainly going to do some research on the subject I too have high blood pressure and I take a pill each morning for it.

Thank you.

Jill and Jolie

Old 09-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Flax seed is good for high cholesterol also.I take it when I can.You can put it on anything,bake withit and so on.But it must be ground seed not whole as your body wont digest the whole seeds to get any benefit from it.Flax seed is perishable especially the ground.You can drind your own in a coffee grinder or buy ground up already.It has a nice nutty flavor but can get a little gummy if you leave in in a liquid too long.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Here is a little more info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaxseed
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Hospitality Queen

I've taken flax seed oil (in a soft-gel type vitamin) for a couple of years, (recommended by my doc) and it's really helped my dry skin a lot.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
It's hard to find RELIABLE information about flax, not because it's not out there but because there's so much garbage from unreliable sites that push vitamins, body building, etc. But I did find a couple that I would consider trustworthy, including this from the University of California Berkeley's Wellness Letter: http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsFlaxseed.php

That and other reliable sites stress the need to grind the seeds, or to chew them well, to get the benefits of flax. I also understand that simply taking flax seed oil doesn't provide the benefits of the entire seed.

It's also not without some risk, and there are questions about its efficacy, as discussed by the Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fla...tient-flaxseed
Old 09-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I like a natural cerial which contains flax seed (ground etc. ) It is a strong nutty flavor. I'm not dead yet.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I buy the whole flaxseed, grind it and keep it in the freezer. I'll add a tablespoon to a smoothie, soup, salad etc.

The seeds have to be ground up a bit or the beneficial 'stuff' can't get out of the shell.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
A doctor I'm acquainted with recommends grinding it yourself in a clean coffee grinder and using that as a crunchy topping on salads. I've done that... It tastes okay.... but I consistenty take the gel caps of flax seed oil... I understand it's not quite as good as eating the seeds, but they carry better when I'm traveling.......
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

it is true that whole flax seed does not give you the nutritive benefits, but it does add fiber. good for the crapper, as it were. so a mix of mostly ground but also whole flax seed is best.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote