Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Please send your thoughts and prayers out to those affected by the deadly tornado that hit Florida. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for all of them.

Isn't it uncommon for tornados at this time of year?

Not a meteorologist here...but Tornados can occour in any month of the year and do. Hear in the south Early spring and late fall are peak times...Cold fronts coming down from the north run into warm/moist air off of the gulf causing thunderstorms which can produce tornados. During the summer months (here) things calm down somewhat as the jet stream moves further north. This creates the recipe for Tornados further north into the Illinois, Indiana, etc. areas.

Thanks for the inf. Uncle. I just can't recall hearing of a tornado in the mist of winter before but I'm sure it probably has and I just don't recall it happening.

SizzlininIN said:
Thanks for the inf. Uncle. I just can't recall hearing of a tornado in the mist of winter before but I'm sure it probably has and I just don't recall it happening.

Well you are right it was/is a rare occurence but can happen...Keep in mind (and I know you understand) that while it may be mid-winter in your area...
here in my area daffodils are blooming...weeds and some grasses are beginning to green...I have several Japanese Magnolias that are beginning to bud...So here in the south we are fast approaching one of the peak periods for tornados....But I do agree...it is early.

Oh..I have not looked at data lately..but it used to be the two most prevalent months in Mississippi for tornados were February and November.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom