Flu Shots-yes or no??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke king

Sous Chef
There is no middle ground on this one-either you do or you don't.

Who gets flu shots? Mrs SK swears by em', I've never had one in 49 years, and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. Neither of us has had the flu in a long while, so we're at an impasse.

Really no right or wrong on this one(other than to those strongly susceptible to influenza) just curious as to what everyone else does! :cool:

Microsoft gives them to us free of charge ...so yeap we'll be standing in line.

Lasy year was the first time I ever got one and last year I got sick. Now logically I know that you do not get sick just from having the shot and I know that the medical professionals all recommend it, but emotionally I am against it for myself. I know too many people who have gotten the shot and then get sick. I will take my chances without.

My mother said I got one once when I was little, how little I don't know, and got very sick so she never bothered with them again and neither have I as an adult. I couldn't tell you the last time I had the flu.... as a young kid I suppose.

I have a compromised immune system so I do get the flu injection..The vaccine is dead so there should be no problem, I do get a slight reaction from the injection, but it's gone overnight, I also get the pneumonia injections...Better for me to be safe than sorry.
kadesma

I have a compromised immune system so I do get the flu injection..The vaccine is dead so there should be no problem, I do get a slight reaction from the injection, but it's gone overnight, I also get the pneumonia injections...Better for me to be safe than sorry.
kadesma

high risk here , so i get both

never have gotten sick taking either one. :)

I have asthma so I get the flu shot every year and I get it free because of my condition. DH gets it free as well because of me.

I have a compromised immune system, too, and my employer provides them for free, so I get them, and have been for about 12 years. I've never had the flu. I've noticed that I rarely get colds anymore, either :)

Have never felt the need, but everytime my fiance has gotten one he sure enough has gotten sick right after! The last time he was sick for almost 2 wks! I'll take my chances thank you!:rolleyes:

nope, not me

I was in an awkward postion the 12 years i worked in a nursing home, we were strongly encouraged, required was the word at times, to take the free flu shots offered by the nursing home to the residents and staff, but I always refused to take one. Being a supervisor I took a lot of heat from the adminstration for my position. Of course, nursing homes are a hot bed for the flu, and residents and staff got ill every winter. But I never got the flu. I have a problem with needles and had a hard time receiving the TB shots yearly that I knew I was required to take. But flu shots I knew I could refuse, so I did.

i just had my first flu shot; first in my life, that is.

i used to be one of those people who just never got sick. little colds here and there, but nothing that lasted more than a day or two. in fact, the only time i took off two sick days from work in the last 21 years was when i had surgery on my back and ended up with about 80 stitches. but there was overtime available, so i just gauzed and taped up, and headed in.

then my son started to go to school, apparently with a bunch of other little germ filled petri dishes, and brought everything home. i caught the flu each of the last 2 years, so i capitulated and got the shot. i probably shouldn't have, since i was just getting over a bad chest cold, but it was the only day my company was offering the shots and it synched with my schedule.

so far, so good. no ill effects from the shot.

I have never had one and don't plan on it. MIL gets them every year and every year gets the flu somtimes twice as the strains are different than what the shot was for so, Danged if you do and Danged if you don't.

I get one every year. I'm 68 so I'm not taking any chances though I haven't had a cold or the flu for 16 years. Not sure if it's the shots or not, but still......

Back
Top Bottom