Food as Art

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I always love going to restaurants where the plates come out looking colorful and beautiful, almost like art. Sushi restaurants typically do this kind of thing well. Tonight, my wife and I went with some friends to a restaurant in Minneapolis called Heidi's. I don't normally snap photos of meals when I eat out, but I couldn't resist in this case. These plates were absolutely stunning. It was almost a shame to eat them. :)

img_1194733_0_246918eba4e88976e76930d9c521c170.jpg

Clockwise from top left: spring rolls, mushroom pappardelle, scallops with celery root puree, braised lamb shank, peanut butter cream filled doughnut, tuna tartar, pickled beef tongue, and beet sorbet.

There were nine courses altogether, each paired with a different wine (one course was paired with beer). I forgot to take a photo of one of the fish courses.

Last edited:
Gorgeous, Steve! Will have to check it out as we regularily visit the Twin Cities.

Those platings are awesome! I wouldn't have expected the restaurant to be called "Heidi's"...it sounds like it should be swiss food, but then maybe that is swiss food.

Those platings are awesome! I wouldn't have expected the restaurant to be called "Heidi's"...it sounds like it should be swiss food, but then maybe that is swiss food.
Heidi is actually the wife of the owner and head chef, Stewart Woodman, who trained in New York and moved to this area several years ago. Because NYC is such an over-saturated market, he wanted to live and work someplace where he felt his food would be more appreciated. Heidi is also the restaurant's pastry chef. This new restaurant is the second incarnation of Heidi's. The first one burned down about two years ago. They re-opened this year in a larger space.

The restaurant itself is small, but gorgeous. The most unusual feature is a large coral sculpture that sits in the middle of the dining area.

5451217578_af50c62153.jpg

Heidi%20and%20Stewart%20Woodman-thumb-250x183.jpg

Do you need to make reservations well in advance, Steve?
It depends on when you go. I've heard they take walk-ins on weeknights. For a Friday night, we booked it through Open Table two weeks ahead. And since we were having the tasting menu, we booked it relatively early (6:00 pm) since it takes a good 3 hours to get through all the different courses. There were only a few people in the place when we first showed up, but it filled up quickly after that.

I'll also add that I think the prices are pretty reasonable considering the quality of the food. The tasting menu was $85 for 9 courses. And if you just order off the regular menu, the most expensive entree is $28.

Steve Kroll said:
It depends on when you go. I've heard they take walk-ins on weeknights. For a Friday night, we booked it through Open Table two weeks ahead. And since we were having the tasting menu, we booked it relatively early (6:00 pm) since it takes a good 3 hours to get through all the different courses. There were only a few people in the place when we first showed up, but it filled up quickly after that.

I'll also add that I think the prices are pretty reasonable considering the quality of the food. The tasting menu was $85 for 9 courses. And if you just order off the regular menu, the most expensive entree is $28.

Awesome, Steve, thanks! Will mention it to my brother for our next visit.

That is a lovely looking restaurant :)

Heidi is actually the wife of the owner and head chef, Stewart Woodman, who trained in New York and moved to this area several years ago. Because NYC is such an over-saturated market, he wanted to live and work someplace where he felt his food would be more appreciated. Heidi is also the restaurant's pastry chef. This new restaurant is the second incarnation of Heidi's. The first one burned down about two years ago. They re-opened this year in a larger space.

The restaurant itself is small, but gorgeous. The most unusual feature is a large coral sculpture that sits in the middle of the dining area.

5451217578_af50c62153.jpg

Heidi%20and%20Stewart%20Woodman-thumb-250x183.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom