"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I just came back from the grocery store. Fresh green beans were $.99 / pound. They looked really good, too!

Old 01-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

Home chef, I went to the store today just to pick up some milk, veggies, and odds and ends. Here is what I spent:

sourdough steak rolls (6) - $2.89
1 - 2 liter bottle diet 7-up - $0.99
Diamond kitchen matches (3 boxes) - $2.59
1 artichoke - $0.99
2 green onion bunches - $1.18
1 container Ranch dip - $2.50
1 celery bunch - $0.59
1 gallon milk - $3.85

I probably spend $20-30 dollars per week at the store. But I also buy my beef and chicken in bulk and divide it up into individual packages and put it in the freezer. My guess would be that I spend $200 or so a month on food.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
I just came back from the grocery store. Fresh green beans were $.99 / pound. They looked really good, too!
Are you sure they are green beans? See if they take extra long to cook them? I bought some potatoes home (russet) and took over hour to bake them. ( I just don't know where the produce is grown in hothouse or in a garden.) I am saving one to return to the store to give them proof of what I say. I feel they have so many people returning things and not being honest that they question everyone's motives.

Sorry to be so cynical but society really makes it hard to think otherwise.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #14
Head Chef

Everytime I go shopping I buy things that are on sale that I know I will need soon. It works out great because I always find that item next time and the price is higher. I stock pile.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Good Luck

i used to stock pile till my electric was out for 3 days. Had to throw everything out. Now I just figure if it is too much I will have to live without it. that is why my food is the most expensive thing we have. The produce is one item I really get stung wit h. I feel something alive is necessary in your body. They have said so many things have sugar and causes so many things. If it is something supposedly natural try to get it. Hence, the reason I buy supplements. At least make effort to try to live normal.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

this is something that has really been on my mind of late. food has always been a central part of my life, and i have realized a few things about myself in that respect.
dw and i spend ridiculous amounts of money (well, ridiculous to me. rich people may not think it is) on food every week. i've never carefully tallied it up, but our groceries are probably around $250 a week, and we get about another $100 to $150 in take out from local places. on top of that is another $50 for the cats. The birds only cost about another $10 per week, because they eat a lot of leftovers, and i get them fruit and veggies from a local ethnic market where everything is cheap, in cost and quality.

still, what bothers me isn't the cost so much, but what and how much is wasted.
i hate to throw things out, and it seems like every 2 weeks i am tossing out packages of meat that went hiding in the fridge, then went bad. or containers of leftovers that got pushed to the back. we can only eat so many leftovers for lunch each week. we could eat some for dinner on following days, but one of the things dw and i deeply share is a love for a good, tasty, and relaxing dinner. also, eating leftovers would take away my only remaining hobby and creative outlet, cooking. so we both eat very late, around 10pm recently, because we can finally sit down after the baby is asleep, and enjoy some good food and each other's company. when there's no time to cook, those are the night's for late take out, about 3 to 4x a week.

when i got my first good job in the city in my early 20's, and started to learn how to cook, i befriended an italian deli owner in town. we used to talk a lot about food and life, and i will always remember him saying that he knew he liked me because i never asked how much something he suggested was, just what was special about it, and if it was good to eat. btw, if you're in north jersey, look up "joe's buon apetito" in river edge. best homemade pork sausages in the world. i guess that has become my m.o.. so long as you can work hard and make money, enjoy the fruits of your labor while you can.

this thinking even extended into the care of my now since passed mil. her last bastion of self care and independence was cooking. she didn't have much left at the end, but she always wanted to cook, so we did everything we could to make it easier for her, and allow her self respect. besides, she was a pretty darn good cook! i wish i could have had more time with her to learn.

well, i know that i need to reign in these wasteful ways, as dw isn't working and the future is gonna get very expensive.
all in all, if it's just the money that was being wasted, then c'est la vie. but wasting food is a sin imo, so i will be making a conscious effort to reduce that.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Are you sure they are green beans? See if they take extra long to cook them? I bought some potatoes home (russet) and took over hour to bake them. ( I just don't know where the produce is grown in hothouse or in a garden.) I am saving one to return to the store to give them proof of what I say. I feel they have so many people returning things and not being honest that they question everyone's motives.

Sorry to be so cynical but society really makes it hard to think otherwise.
I don't know exactly what to say to this question

Am I sure they are green beans? Well, they are green, about 4-5" long, and the sign above the product said "green beans - $.99 / pound".

I didn't know there was a difference in names if it were grown in a garden or in a hot house. The same basic principle is that they are, in fact, green beans.

I have to go back to the store today. I will take a pic for you and post it. Let me know if they are, in fact, green beans.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Home Chef

Guess I was being kind of facetious. You heard the saying 'too good to be true'. When I find a bargain I have tendancy to question it and wonder why it is such a bargain. another saying is 'don't look gift horse in the mouth'. You can see that the store I go to regularly, green beans $2.49 and yours was $.99 what do you think the reason? I wouldn't think they would mark them up that much. (That is one thing about computer, can't tell if I am being serious.) I truly don't question what you say. I only wish I could get them same place you do. Hope I didn't upset you.

buckytom, thanks for sharing. Exactly the way I feel when i find some cheese that was pushed to the back of the fridge. I can't clean the fridge every week but at the prices I have to pay I maybe should start making allowance for the time. Not an option if you want to but have to. Food is such a pleasure when everyone enjoys. I was always told to try to have a meal where family shares. You do that, no matter what time it is! I commend your efforts. Worth it. As I have said in the past I enjoy your comments. Probably because I understand what you mean and share the feeling. At least we have to try to live the life best way we can.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I got ya. I was like "What ?? Am I sure they are green beans?? Like I don't knwo what a green bean is??" Man, I really felt like I was missing something LOL. I still can't shake that feeling LOL. It's all good.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Relieved!

Thank you for responding and asking exactly what I meant. I feel so much better when someone asks me about comment rather than not contacting at all and staying upset about some kind of misunderstanding. Anxiety does that to person. Thinking about spending money sure does it to me. I surely don't get the difference in the prices. Do you live by a farm or something? Just count your blessings because I sure hope your prices will remain the same. They may just be kind hearted people who own the store and know what is like to have family to feed. 99 cents big difference than 2.49. AS i said before 'too good to be true'. But it is!