"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #21
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Mrs. Big Dog and I are good for about $100 a week, give or take. The price of milk is crazy. Otherwise, this is primarily frozen veggies, cereal, a bit of fruit, main entrees, and snack. Oh, and soda/pop (primarily for her).

This is just for her and me. Normally leftovers are generated so I have lunch for the week.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Big Dog

If you stay within that range, I think you are ahead of the gang. My goal on what I plan to spend is always lower than it turns out to be. You must be disciplined in exac tly what you want. I normally have a list but then I see something 'on sale' and buy at least two of whatever it is. No wonder I start sweating when I get halfway through the store. My basket is already full when I leave the produce area. Wish you luck to remain at that level.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Down

Well, made my weekly trip to grocery store and green beans are DOWN! Now they are $1.99 but not $.99. Last week $2.49. Does one week make that big difference? My total cost this week not as much as last week's either. Everyone I talk to tells me they don't just go to one store but different ones. You think with the gas cost that it pays? I used to do that when gas wasn't over $2.00 now I am indifferent to trying to make effort. Not good idea to get like this but cost is getting ridiculous. Just buy and don't look back.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #24
Master Chef

My hubby decided to stop working so I understand the hardships of living on a budget. Also, I too have seen the prices go up to the heavens! For 2 folks, I spend about a $100 a week. Some of the things I started doing to save $$$ and utilize everything that I buy are as follows:

You know when you make a roast and you buy veggies... carrots come in bunches or a big bag, or I buy asparagus and cut off the last 2 inches and so on... I have been saving all of that and making my own veggie stock. Not sure about you, but buying any kind of stock these days cost at least a buck a can. If I do not have enough variety of veggies to make the stock, then I stick it in the freezer until I have all that I need... nothing goes to waste anymore and I have a freezer full of homemade stock. I do the same with chicken... if I fix a whole chicken, I pluck off what ever meat is left over and use my vaccumm sealer to store the chicken scraps in a feezer... makes wonderful chicken salad sandwhiches and is much better and cheaper than the canned crud. Then boil the chicken bones to make chicken stock. The list goes on.... I store the stock in zip baggies at 2 cups a piece and lay them flat in the freezer... they look like file folders and I have the sectioned off as chicken, beef, veggie, fish stocks.

I have found doing things like that have helped me to save a few bucks at the store and at the same time I still get to enjoy cooking the finer foods and have the satisfaction that is truly all home made. Nothing goes to waste. The vaccumm sealer is one of the best purchases I have made.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #25
Executive Chef

sattie

Thanks for sharing your attempt to keep on budget. Used to be so easy t o just plan and prepare. Now shortcuts have to be made to use everything. I am always fearful about what to make next week to stretch the dollar. I don't know if the coupons really work. I do buy what they have on sale and leave it up to the One who has cont rol to help. Good luck and appreciat e you sharing your t hought with us. Lesson for all.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #26
Executive Chef

My vacuum sealer just came this week and I haven't used it yet. Still looking forward to that.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Everyone I talk to tells me they don't just go to one store but different ones. You think with the gas cost that it pays? I used to do that when gas wasn't over $2.00 now I am indifferent to trying to make effort. Not good idea to get like this but cost is getting ridiculous. Just buy and don't look back.

well I go to different ones in my area because of selection problems.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #28
Executive Chef

kleenex

you feel justified going to different stores? I go to one store and pay the price due to the fact I don't know what the quality will be of others. The store I go to has the best produce, meat, etc. In fact, they are the only ones that offer you several choices of one item. Other stores maybe offer two and the store brand. At one time, I did go to three different ones each week but now I count the miles and the gas. Oh, when i go to the store, I have to buy stuff for relation cause either they forgot or know the day I go.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #29
Master Chef

I go to different ones..... one week I go to one store, next week I go to another.... different stores have different things that I am after. As for produce, luckily we have a Farmers Market right down the street and can always get excellent produce and green tomatos!!!! Can't find those in a regular grochery store. Is grochery spelled right? The more I look at the word, the stranger it looks!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #30
Executive Chef

sattie

grocery is the way I spell it. Maybe the way you pronounce it makes it different? I know people have different sounds to the way they talk. People in the South talk different than people in the East. Everyone I talk to tells me I have accent and I have lived here all my life. My parents were from Germany but that shouldn't affect my accent. As long as we know what each other is talking about I don't worry.

Having that market sounds really special to me. You live in the right area.