"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #31
Master Chef

Itk

Yea, I love fresh produce and given that it is a stone's throw away.... well heck u can't beat that. Plus, I think it is cheaper to buy produce there than in a grochery store. But then I never go to the grochery store just to buy produce, always end up with a ton of other stuff!

Old 01-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #32
Executive Chef

sattie

sattie, I was just curious about what you have to pay for green beans? Our store has dropped the price to $1.99 lb. They have Tyson chickens on SALE for $.69 and one guy came in and took the whole bin. His basket had nothing but chickens. Wonder where he was from? Take the whole thing. How much do your Tyson chickens cost?

Old 01-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #33
Master Chef

Itk

Sorry... I did not catch the price of fresh green beans. I did not even look in that direction. When I go, I am on a mission and get what I am after. If I happen by there again, I will make it a point to look.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #34
Executive Chef

thanks

sattie, see if they carry Perdue chickens? I thought it was Tyson. Sorry. I do prefer the Perdue chickens. They are all over 4lbs. you think that is the reason for the 69 cents? Are smaller chickens better? 4lbs. is big. for fryer.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #35
Master Chef

Itk

Ok... I gotta ask because I have never heard of them before, what are perdue chickens??? Are they like cornish hens? Still need to check the green beans... I never buy them because my hubby (we don't know what is wrong with him) does not like fresh green beans... he likes them out of the can... yuck! So I usually don't buy them.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Perdue is a brand of chicken. They are very good. I get them for roasting, but for frying or chicken dishes, I use frozen breasts or tenderloins, depending on what the recipe is. I don't know how much we spend on groceries, but I know I should cut back. We could live for a long time on just what is stored.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:33 PM   #37
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Normally for us groceries is a joint effort. Mainly because if Mrs. Big Dog goes on her own, the list is magically added to.

This week's groceries came to about $50, but we're having to pinch pennies pretty tight right now. Also, with the cost of everything nowadays, we grocery shop between a minimum of 2 places, Super Target and Sam's Club. Milk at Sam's is insanely cheaper, like usually just a couple bucks a gallon. Eggs are cheaper too, by about 30 to 40 cents. Also, we are starting to buy meat from Sam's in bulk, and divvy it up when we get home. Ground beef that's I think 90% lean or so winds up just under $2 per pound (last time we bought).

Fortunately, Sam's & Target are pretty close to each other.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Food Bills

I may feel unusually guilty since I questioned everyone about food bills. i am so consious of trying to keep things at a level that won't go overboard of the budget. i go shopping once a week. Just last week bought chickens on sale. When I could not find them in freezer I was at loss as to were they where. Well, of all the years I have been going to store this is first time this has happened. Found the bag betweeen recycling papers and other things for recycling. You talk about an odor! But that did not bother me as much as having all those chickens spoil. Is there some kind of lesson i should learn from this? I won't forget this. I just have to make a point that I should empty each and every bag without being in hurry. Maybe should go twice week. it is just that sales are every week not on daily basis. I never have had this happen before. Maybe since I admitted my mistake I will get over this. Oh I wanted to tell you string beans are back up to $2.49 maybe it is because the gas prices went up again There must be some correlation there. Thanks for underst anding and hope this never happens to any of you.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:16 PM   #39
Head Chef

Oh, ITK, I'm so very sorry! How awful for you! I guess the best you can do is just not "cry over spilt milk!" Nothing you can do about it now.

I do my grocery shopping 55 miles away from home. More than once, I've come home to find items on my grocery receipt but not in my bags! I paid for things I wanted but the checker missed getting them in my cart. I guess I'm a slow learner since it's happened more than once

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #40
Executive Chef

I'm not good at checking to see if everything I purchased came home with me, but I'm sure I've left things behind at one time or another. I need to pay more attention to details.