"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Food Bills?

I realize I am spending extra for Christmas but my grocery bill is the one I cannot account for. I buy the same produce and things in general. However, this past weekend the produce man was filling bin with green beans. I made comment to him about $2.49 lb. I asked him how often he had to fill it? He said third time today and it was only 1:30! Beans were 99 cents lb. not too long ago then $1.49. Now $2.49? I am thinking the produce is probably main source of cost but who wants to eat the canned? I did buy some vodka that was on sale which added to the bill but I spent almost twice as much as in the past. Most f my neighbors buy Totonios for a supper meal. I would rather eat the box than what is in it. I don't really think any food value. Day before Christmas I got auto insurance bill. That didn't help. Perfect timing. Thanks for understanding.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

ITK, my grocery bills are high, and I only cook for one. Can't imagine how much families spend per week. When I can, I go to the 99 cent store for cleaning products, dry pasta, herbs/spices and such. They're much less expensive than the market. The down side... I always spend/buy more than I planned on there.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
I totally hear your ITK (and everyone else in this boat), our budget is tighter than a Victorian corset (), and I am always looking for ways to keep it on the low side, though we always seem to shake are heads each month when we tally up the grocery bills. DH takes a lunch to work, as they don't have lunches there for his shift, which may save a few dollars....

I never quite get over how high the food prices are in Ireland! I thought that perhaps things would be cheaper when we moved from Dublin last year to a small town on the southern coast, but they are the same (some things are higher!)

I find that making what I can at home, and stocking up on sales (when possible), as well as clipping coupons helps a bit. But I would love to win one of those "free groceries for a year" contests that some super markets put on! Could you image how cool that would be!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Cook

We spend about $50-$75 per week for my family of 5, however my kids are young and in the picky stage of eating, so all 3 of them probably add up to 1 adult! Anyway, I have been stockpiling non-perishable and freezer items for the past year and a half when they come up on a good sale, so I really only have to buy milk and fresh fruit/veges at full price. Also try to can or freeze as much from my garden as I can every summer to last through the winter. This was the first year we didn't grow a garden due to procrastination, and will NEVER do that again! Wasn't bad in the summer when the farmer's markets were going, but now...the "fresh" produce in the local grocery store is awful and the canned stuff doesn't even taste like the same vegetable! I am ordering my seeds now and will make sure to get the job done come April!!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Good for You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanson
We spend about $50-$75 per week for my family of 5, however my kids are young and in the picky stage of eating, so all 3 of them probably add up to 1 adult! Anyway, I have been stockpiling non-perishable and freezer items for the past year and a half when they come up on a good sale, so I really only have to buy milk and fresh fruit/veges at full price. Also try to can or freeze as much from my garden as I can every summer to last through the winter. This was the first year we didn't grow a garden due to procrastination, and will NEVER do that again! Wasn't bad in the summer when the farmer's markets were going, but now...the "fresh" produce in the local grocery store is awful and the canned stuff doesn't even taste like the same vegetable! I am ordering my seeds now and will make sure to get the job done come April!!
I feel the same way about growing your own and much better for you. However, last year we had storms which knocked out our power line for over 3 days. Everything in trying to keep cold, wasn't. Had to throw it all out and make list of price I paid for it. Since everything on sale, insurance got a good deal. I was the loser! First time I had that experience. They say all things have purpose and I just fail to see what that was for. Only thing to do is acceptance for tough situation and just handle things the best way your can. I was so upset about losing all that food. Everything got warm not matter how we tried to not open the doors. Plus our lights were out when the sun was gone. We did have water which I appreciated.

Going to other stores for bargains often were a bad move as you said you would buy more. Plus now that gas is out of sight I wonder if it really makes a difference. Just feel life is always going uphill.

So Ireland has high prices too? Guess I am in my own world and hope I will make it to the next. Seems they want us to eat the cardboard to 'get ahead'. No wonder people overweight is due to the high prices of the nourishing food. Pres. Bush doesn't look like he has weight problem. I think Clinton is the one who patronized McDonalds.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Master Chef

I was spending between $120 and $150 a week about 3 months ago. Now, I'm spending between $180 and $200 for the same stuff. I know that the hurricanes didn't help with a lot of the imported stuff. Even the CHEAP milk is $3.00 a gallon now. DH refuses to go to the store and see what I'm talking about when he complains about the money spent on food. He thinks he's still in the 70's.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Yea, I burn about $100.00 a week for groceries. I don't have a garden but I'm really thinking about putting one in this spring. It's fruit that really kills me. My 15 month old son eats fruit like it Amelda Markos buys shoes! Especially bananas and grapes. Holy cow! He eats a big bunch of bananas and a bag of grapes every three days! Although he eats them readily, he doesn't insist on veggies so much. Other than that he'll eat just abou tanything I put in front of him. I really thought the food bills would go down when he got off of jarred food. Boy was I wrong!

Yea, and gas bills! Don't get me started
Old 01-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Executive Chef

thanks

Thanks for sharing. Sure is great to know others feel the same way I do. I go to the store and the stuff is off the shelves and I figure if it is gone they must be buying Just often wonder what I am doing wrong that the bill is so high. Hearing your comments gives me some kind of comfort knowing you feel the same way I do.

It sure isn't the 70's anymore and you can't change that. If someone wants to eat they have to pay for it. Should appreciate fact you get if for the family. That isn't easy today. As I said I sure don't want Totino's. Family likes it for a snack but even then they ask for something else.

Be happy that your little one is eating 'fresh' fruit. what a gift you are giving to give him the best. He will grow up knowing the difference. sounds like he already knows what is good for them. Thankful you giving him loving direction. Oh yea, the gas company here wants to surcharge people who keep their thermostat down and try to economize. The gas company said they have their bills to meet! do you believe this? Gets worse everytime I turn on the news.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Too Much!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Too Much!!

I agree!!!