"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Head Chef

Food delivery companies

This isnít really about cooking, so Iím hoping this is the right forum.

Have any of you used one of those food delivery services, like Blue Apron? You know, they deliver a box of ingredients and a recipe two or three times a week, and you make the meal.

Iíve read that theyíre very cost effective if youíre only cooking for two, and that they have some very good menus. If any of you have recommendations on which company to use (or avoid), or any comments about the service in general, Iíd be most grateful if you shared!

Old 12-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think $10-12 per meal is cost effective compared to home cooking, especially if you have a fairly well-stocked spice pantry. I know Blue Apron's recipes are on their website; not sure about the others.

https://lifehacker.com/are-meal-kits...ies-1794922297

Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think $10-12 per meal is cost effective compared to home cooking
$10 - $12 per meal? Holy Frijoles! I buy whatever I feel like making, and it's pretty rare for me to spend that much per meal, except when I get some pricey seafood. I think $5 or $6 per meal is a little more in line. Our monthly grocery bill for two is typically $600 - $700, but that's breakfast, lunch, and dinner, coffee (that's $60 right there), etc. Veggies are always fresh, and we eat a fair bit of fresh fruit. Also, I wouldn't let some food service decide what I'm going to eat, let alone dictate how I'm going to prepare it. Recipes are just guidelines, anyway, so I get the ingredients that I'm going to use for my version of the recipe.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Blue Apron won't last. They've been losing money.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Master Chef

For many of the reasons already mentioned (and then some), I've never even considered using Blue Apron, or any of the other packaged menu delivery companies.

I'd much rather plan and make my own meals to my taste, use my own herbs and spices, and often make a little more than needed so that I have leftovers to fiddle with and re-purpose for another meal.

Every now and then I order out for Chinese or Mexican, but that's different.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I don't think we (DC members) are not like the bulk of the meal delivery subscribers. I also read somewhere that they cater mostly to 2-person households, no kids, non-picky eaters...
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
This isnít really about cooking, so Iím hoping this is the right forum.

Have any of you used one of those food delivery services, like Blue Apron? You know, they deliver a box of ingredients and a recipe two or three times a week, and you make the meal.

Iíve read that theyíre very cost effective if youíre only cooking for two, and that they have some very good menus. If any of you have recommendations on which company to use (or avoid), or any comments about the service in general, Iíd be most grateful if you shared!

JJ, my friend who didn't cook much, wanted to start up again when her husband passed away. She tried, I think it was 3 or 4 different meal-kit delivery services and decided that she liked Blue Apron best.
I think it was a good way for her to get her feet wet again in the kitchen.
Now she's progressed to going to the market (even Costco now!!) and making up her own meal plans. She's having alot of fun with new gadgets too, like Instant Pots, that sous vide thingy and the like.

Myself, I've never tried these services, so I'm just sharing with you her experience.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
$10 - $12 per meal? Holy Frijoles! I buy whatever I feel like making, and it's pretty rare for me to spend that much per meal, except when I get some pricey seafood. I think $5 or $6 per meal is a little more in line. Our monthly grocery bill for two is typically $600 - $700, but that's breakfast, lunch, and dinner, coffee (that's $60 right there), etc. Veggies are always fresh, and we eat a fair bit of fresh fruit. Also, I wouldn't let some food service decide what I'm going to eat, let alone dictate how I'm going to prepare it. Recipes are just guidelines, anyway, so I get the ingredients that I'm going to use for my version of the recipe.
Yeah, I think Blue Apron is the least expensive and their 6-meal per week plan is $60.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

My "good cook son", and his "never cook wife" gave Blue Apron a try for a while before it became too costly. With both of them employed full time, my son enjoyed not having to shop for the evening meal and she seemed to be more willing to participate in the kitchen with the clear meal instructions. For people like them, it's probably a good service to use a couple times a week, although the meals are as costly as many neighborhood diners.
Personally, I have all the time in the world to home cook meals. My remarkable Souschef does the shopping, chopping, and clean up.......priceless!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Hard to believe this guy spent those amounts of money at the grocery stores. I thought they would be a lot lower after portioning out the costs of each ingredient.

Tags
food