"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Master Chef
Food for thought..

I got to thinking about all the conveniences we now have relating to food. From there, I was thinking of some of the food related inventions on the market in just my lifetime, such as "Baggies"........see the vintage commercial.

Classic Baggies Television Commercial

So, my question to you is this....."What's you're favorite food related invention that has been created in your lifetime, or your parents lifetime"

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
Good topic Kayelle!

Has to be without a doubt the convection oven! In my line of work it is truly indispensible - 60 perfect chocolate chip cookies in 6 minutes. I can't tray them that fast! And that is just one of the wonders it can perform!

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Head Chef
LOL lots of things come to mind that since introduced, could hardly do without.
Two of the best for me are the ziplock bag and the immersion blender.
Look forward to reading about what cooks can't do without.
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Head Chef
Off the top of my head i'd have to say the food saver... Being single this really helps in keeping food costs down for me... I too can go to Sam's club and buy bulk meats and veggies, come home and food save the day away...
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I'd love a food saver,but my DH has a big thing about the freezer or stored things in the pantry. He is convinced that freezer food is gonna go bad if it's in there for than a week. Every Monday I have to make sure he doesn't clean out the freezer for the garbage truck!!! I do love my mandolin and my immersion blender plus my f/p, my hands cramp so bad at times these things are life savers for me.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Honey Badger
I'd be so sad without my panini press, and pasta maker. The creative meals that come from both of them. Neither one is limited.

If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Silicone tools. I love the things!!!
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
There were no gadgets at all when I was a young child - I still remember the excitement when my parents first had a refrigerator.

There were no such thing as "baggies" - no clingfilm - no aluminium foil - no gadgets or small appliances at all.

Actually, as food was strictly rationed there wasn't much of anything for which a modern appliance could have been needed.

Now I'm not so young, have to use a wheelchair, and food related things that might be considered as "convenience" items are, for me, just things that enable me to prepare and cook food for myself.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Well--going back to my parents' lifetimes--how about "sliced bread"!
"I'm an old cowhand-from the Rio Grande-I know every trail in the Lone Star State cause I ride the range in a Ford V-8, yippee-i-o-ki-ay!"
Margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef
I had a hard time coming up with something that really was significant to me. I thought about things like the microwave, toaster oven, food processor but rejected them all because while they are convenient, I could easily live without them.

I'd have to say the dishwasher and garbage disposal. I hate to wash dishes and can't stand the smell of garbage.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote