"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #11
Master Chef
I, like many of you, have many, many food memories. But this time of year I can just feel the summer days in Utah. We had a freind who had an acre or so of farm land. He would call my parents after he'd harvested his fields and give us whatever we could glean from the field after. Green beans, tomatoes, corn, strawberries. We'd go through the plants, taking what he had missed. Then we'd sit on his big glider under a plum tree and eat plums. But the very best was at the end of the season. We'd peel tomatoes from our garden, and shuck corn from his field. Mom kept a big shaker with both salt and pepper mixed in it (for eating tomatoes from the vine like they were apples), and she'd bring out a couple of sticks of butter (we called it butter, but it was really margarine). Then we'd feast on nothing but corn on the cob and tomatoes. This was the one time of year we were allowed to just roll the corn on the stick of butter (the BEST way to butter corn). I was in my teens, my youngest sister a year or so old, and we had a little (probably 3 1/2 feet high) backyard pool. In between shucking corn and peeling tomatoes, we'd hop in the little pool to cool off. It was a day long marathon of preparing food for the freezer, rewarded by being able to make an entire meal of corn and tomatoes. My husband says it is the native American in me (of which I have very very very little) that my favorite summer meal is still corn and tomatoes!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to thier1754
My comfort foods are potatoes and gravy on Thanksgiving, ravioli made by a little restaurant in Tacoma called "Santos" (gone now), and Coke, which was such a treat food. Low cal memories! Part of the Coke attachment, too, came from the fact that, as a kid, I was sick to my stomach a lot, and my daddy would bring me coke syrup from the pharmacy in a little ceramic jigger to drink and it would settle my stomach. I miss my daddy...

"I'm that fond o' my fiddle, I could sit in the inside o't, an' look oot."-- Peter Milne, famous Scot fiddler
thier1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon
When my cousin Sandy was a year old she got to eat her first Thanksgiving dinner with the family. I can't remember what else she had, but I will never forget the mashed potatoes. Sandra started rubbing her eyes when she was done. Her mom cleaned her up. A few hours later someone noticed something in Sandy's eye. It was a dried string of mashed potatoes coming from behind her eye! We still sometimes affectionately refer to Sandy as "Potato Eye!"

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #14
Master Chef
i'd ask my Grandma (rest her soul) to cook me scrambled eggs. she'd cook 'em in castiron. i was 3 or 4 & adored watching those eggs as they cooked. didn't want the eggs, wanted to see them cook.
one is of when i was a baby-2, probably,- & my other Grandma gave me honey out of a blue container from the freezer in thier basement. my Grandpap was holding me & my Mom was next to us. also, Grandma mixing knox gelatin for her nailsw/ orange juice. it was so delicious. we'd drink it on the enclosed patio & watch t.v. she'd like her light 'n lively yogurt, & we'd share that outside in summers, & she'd give me brick cheese. plus butter sandwiches were another.
Pap cooked a batch of maple syrup, too, then it was ina sherbert container. mmmmm. he used to pick spearmint & give it to me. & concord grpes grew in the yard. we shared them in the lving rm. i have yet to this day to taste a fruit as delicious. fishing for sm. lake fish, Pap cleaning them, Gram frying 'em & they were delicious.
Gram & Pap, my Brother & i pouring colored popcorn kernals into an old-fashioned shaker & shaking it in the basement or livingrm., then sprinkling w/ popeye popcorn salt. cooking many, many batches of fudge w/ Pap.
dinners w/ Mom, Dad & my Brother, too. us asking, 'am i done enough?'. Swiss steak, Dad's popcorn & our giggling as the lid lifted from the cookware,
santa & the reindeer's Christmas Eve snack (nowwwww i see why 'santa'
preferred that we leave him schnappes. MOM & DAD! .)

great thread.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote