"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Master Chef

"Food" movies, movie "food" scenes?

I'm currently watching Alfred Hitchcock's "Frenzy" (on the Encore Mystery channel), which, apart from the plot, is one of my favorite Hitchcock flicks because of the extremely funny polie inspector's wife serving him all these exotic meals from her recent French cooking classes. The look on his face as she serves him a fish soup & lists the ingredients, the pig trotters (his comment "this looks like a pig's foot!!), a teeny tiny quail with a few grapes when he comes home starving - these are priceless "movie food" scenes.

Both my mom & I also can rarely watch "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas" without cooking up something Italian, nor can my mom watch anyone eating NY street food without wanting a kosher frank - lol!!!

I also get a hankering for fried calamari, stuffed grape leaves, & Retsina when watching "Shirley Valentine".

Anyone else have "movie food" cravings or great "movie food" scenes?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
My favorite movie about food is "Big Night". It never got much play in theatres or on tv, but I think it's a terrific movie!! It's about two Italian brothers running a restaurant in 1950's New Jersey. Not only is there great food and cooking highlighted, but it's a very touching story about love and family. I thought it was great!! Big Night (1996)

Old 08-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Head Chef

I love that movie too, muzzlet. Goes great with Italian food. Actually I play the soundtrack when cooking Italian food.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I love all the cooking, eating and kitchen clean up scenes in "The Big Chill". We actually play the soundtrack in the kitchen when making Thanksgiving dinner because it makes us all start dancing around. (And I want "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played at my final send off!)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Cook

Yep.... I agree with all of the movies mentioned..... and also the movie TORTILLA SOUP makes me hungry for that too....LOL!!

And it barely goes without saying...... when the Sopranos were around it was my ritual to make some sort of Italian dinner every Sunday to eat along with them in the show.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniaBchGirl View Post
Yep.... I agree with all of the movies mentioned..... and also the movie TORTILLA SOUP makes me hungry for that too....LOL!!

And it barely goes without saying...... when the Sopranos were around it was my ritual to make some sort of Italian dinner every Sunday to eat along with them in the show.
So true. All my Italian ancestry (that I didn't know I had) comes out when I watch the Sopranos and we gotta eat some pasta with a good red wine.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Watch “Warriors of Virtue” if you can find it. It’s a family movie kind of like Never Ending Story, but centered on mythical protectors of a far away land that are kangaroo type warriors skilled in martial arts with an elemental bias. The way the hero gets to this land is to get a book from a Chinese chef that has befriended him. There are a few scenes where he (the chef) does amazing things with a wok and rice dishes (acrobatic of course). Plus, it’s a fun movie that the kids usually love. It really makes you want to break out the wok.....but I know I'd burn something down if I tried what he does!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlet View Post
My favorite movie about food is "Big Night". It never got much play in theatres or on tv, but I think it's a terrific movie!! It's about two Italian brothers running a restaurant in 1950's New Jersey. Not only is there great food and cooking highlighted, but it's a very touching story about love and family. I thought it was great!! Big Night (1996)
I have seen this movie soo under rated.I loved it>
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Watch “Warriors of Virtue” if you can find it. It’s a family movie kind of like Never Ending Story, but centered on mythical protectors of a far away land that are kangaroo type warriors skilled in martial arts with an elemental bias. The way the hero gets to this land is to get a book from a Chinese chef that has befriended him. There are a few scenes where he (the chef) does amazing things with a wok and rice dishes (acrobatic of course). Plus, it’s a fun movie that the kids usually love. It really makes you want to break out the wok.....but I know I'd burn something down if I tried what he does!
Sounds right up my alley.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Babbettes Feast and my all time favorite Like Water for Chocolate.