"Food" movies, movie "food" scenes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I'm currently watching Alfred Hitchcock's "Frenzy" (on the Encore Mystery channel), which, apart from the plot, is one of my favorite Hitchcock flicks because of the extremely funny polie inspector's wife serving him all these exotic meals from her recent French cooking classes. The look on his face as she serves him a fish soup & lists the ingredients, the pig trotters (his comment "this looks like a pig's foot!!), a teeny tiny quail with a few grapes when he comes home starving - these are priceless "movie food" scenes.

Both my mom & I also can rarely watch "The Godfather" or "Goodfellas" without cooking up something Italian, nor can my mom watch anyone eating NY street food without wanting a kosher frank - lol!!!

I also get a hankering for fried calamari, stuffed grape leaves, & Retsina when watching "Shirley Valentine".

Anyone else have "movie food" cravings or great "movie food" scenes?

Last edited:
My favorite movie about food is "Big Night". It never got much play in theatres or on tv, but I think it's a terrific movie!! It's about two Italian brothers running a restaurant in 1950's New Jersey. Not only is there great food and cooking highlighted, but it's a very touching story about love and family. I thought it was great!! Big Night (1996)

I love that movie too, muzzlet. Goes great with Italian food. Actually I play the soundtrack when cooking Italian food.

I love all the cooking, eating and kitchen clean up scenes in "The Big Chill". We actually play the soundtrack in the kitchen when making Thanksgiving dinner because it makes us all start dancing around. (And I want "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played at my final send off!)

Yep.... I agree with all of the movies mentioned..... and also the movie TORTILLA SOUP makes me hungry for that too....LOL!!

And it barely goes without saying...... when the Sopranos were around it was my ritual to make some sort of Italian dinner every Sunday to eat along with them in the show.

Yep.... I agree with all of the movies mentioned..... and also the movie TORTILLA SOUP makes me hungry for that too....LOL!!

And it barely goes without saying...... when the Sopranos were around it was my ritual to make some sort of Italian dinner every Sunday to eat along with them in the show.
So true. All my Italian ancestry (that I didn't know I had) comes out when I watch the Sopranos and we gotta eat some pasta with a good red wine.

Watch “Warriors of Virtue” if you can find it. It’s a family movie kind of like Never Ending Story, but centered on mythical protectors of a far away land that are kangaroo type warriors skilled in martial arts with an elemental bias. The way the hero gets to this land is to get a book from a Chinese chef that has befriended him. There are a few scenes where he (the chef) does amazing things with a wok and rice dishes (acrobatic of course). Plus, it’s a fun movie that the kids usually love. It really makes you want to break out the wok.....but I know I'd burn something down if I tried what he does! :)

My favorite movie about food is "Big Night". It never got much play in theatres or on tv, but I think it's a terrific movie!! It's about two Italian brothers running a restaurant in 1950's New Jersey. Not only is there great food and cooking highlighted, but it's a very touching story about love and family. I thought it was great!! Big Night (1996)
:)I have seen this movie soo under rated.I loved it>

Watch “Warriors of Virtue” if you can find it. It’s a family movie kind of like Never Ending Story, but centered on mythical protectors of a far away land that are kangaroo type warriors skilled in martial arts with an elemental bias. The way the hero gets to this land is to get a book from a Chinese chef that has befriended him. There are a few scenes where he (the chef) does amazing things with a wok and rice dishes (acrobatic of course). Plus, it’s a fun movie that the kids usually love. It really makes you want to break out the wok.....but I know I'd burn something down if I tried what he does! :)
:)Sounds right up my alley.

Vatel, set in 17th century France, about a legendary chef at the court of the Sun King, Louis XIV. Starring Gerard Depardieu and Uma Thurman.

Age of Innocence

Babette's Feast

Tortilla Soup

Under the Tuscan Sun

Ratatouille

There was a Chinese one as well. I cannot think of the name of the movie. Eat, Drink, Man, Woman? Something like that.

I've always wanted to reproduce Babette's feast. Some day I'll rent the movie and do it.

I love "Eat Drink Man Woman". Just an incredible movie. I have it on laserdisc but unfortunately my laserdisc player has been broken for about 10 years. I have to get it on DVD. The opening scenes of preparing the Sunday dinner make me salivate just thinking of it.

Michael

I am watching "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm."

I want some fried eggs right from the chickens along with some bacon. A slice or two of homemade bread turned into toast would be a welcome addition. :angel:

Last edited:
Welcome, DavideG. :flowers: Thanks for the link. :)

Not a movie, but I used to be a fan of Fern Michaels books - in many of her books, I could count on one of the characters making "Banana Macadamia Nut Pancakes". I've never tried them, but always thought they sounded so good. :yum: The character would be savoring them while trying to solve the latest mystery in her life. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom