Food Muse gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The OutDoor Chef

Washing Up
What happens when one loses his or her's Food muse?

Right now I am at a cross roads. I don't know what I want do?

I know Qing is a must, but otherwise then Qing I lost the way and will to cook.

What do you fine folks do when your in a food despair?

For the last two years I was in a state of flux. However, just in the last few months it magically reappeared and I am creating dishes at home like I used to do for work. DH loves it and for that matter so do I. The passion has returned bigtime!

Just give it time. There may be other things in your life that are affecting your creativity. This was certainly the case with me.

I make something I either haven't made in a while, or haven't made at all. Something I need to follow a recipe and that takes a lot of ingredients or prep work.
If that doesn't take me out of my food slump, at least I got one good meal out of it ;^)

Thanks everyone.

I am hoping a new gas / char coal combo grill will make the muse come back from vacation.

I know I will get chastise in the smoking world if I buy a gasser though.

Ignore them. The stigma placed on gas grills by "real" outdoor cooks is crap. They're snobs. Gas grills have their place. You'd be surprised what you can do on them.
Andy,

You are correct Sir.

I know for me it will give me a break from char coal.

And I would like to do some youtube videos on grilling, Right now I am learning to properly grill food at high heat.

Getting used to high heat is a little different then low & slow what I do. all the time.

Twice now I've done steaks low and slow and didn't create grill marks, but I have great friends who are showing me the proper way to do them.

Thanks everyone.

I am hoping a new gas / char coal combo grill will make the muse come back from vacation.

I know I will get chastise in the smoking world if I buy a gasser though.

We were looking at the combo grill a few weeks ago and still haven't made up our mind what we are getting.....summer will be over before we decide :LOL:

Anyway, other than being very long, it looks like it fits with our lifestyle.

And I always find that if I get a new piece of cooking equipment I become inspired!

Ignore them. The stigma placed on gas grills by "real" outdoor cooks is crap. They're snobs. Gas grills have their place. You'd be surprised what you can do on them.

Yup, and I'm proud to be one of them there snobs!;) Gas has its place, but it will never be used to grill meat at my place.:glare:

Craig

Yup, and I'm proud to be one of them there snobs!;) Gas has its place, but it will never be used to grill meat at my place.:glare:

Craig
Hi Craig.

I wouldn't be doing the 4 meat's that KCBS requires you to have at turn in time.

I would however do Chicken Cordon Blue, Holindaise sauce, eggs, and all the other food on the gasser.

I would keep the pork butt, brisket, Chicken, Ribs on the char coal smokers only.

But stuff like hotdogs, bangers, burgers and what not could go on the gasser.

What happens when one loses his or her's Food muse?

Right now I am at a cross roads. I don't know what I want do?

I know Qing is a must, but otherwise then Qing I lost the way and will to cook.

What do you fine folks do when your in a food despair?

Hang out on the "What's Cooking Today?" forum...someone always has an idea.

Buy a new cookbook from another country.

Learn a new process or a new food you've never tried.

Hi Craig.

I wouldn't be doing the 4 meat's that KCBS requires you to have at turn in time.

I would however do Chicken Cordon Blue, Holindaise sauce, eggs, and all the other food on the gasser.

I would keep the pork butt, brisket, Chicken, Ribs on the char coal smokers only.

But stuff like hotdogs, bangers, burgers and what not could go on the gasser.

I was talking about grilling and not true "Q".:) I have a stick burner for the "Q". I do have a gas jet cooker for crawfish boils, crab steaming, blackening (CI pan @ white hot) and such.

Craig

We need a "Like" button for this post :LOL:

Every couple of years I lose all desire to cook in about late February - just when the weather tempts me with the promise of summer food, but the garden doesn't. First I have learned to endure, to make mindless tummy filling meals for a few days or weeks. Second I have learned to budget some ingredient splurges for that slump. For me it doesn't have to be Kobe beef flown in from Japan - just some normal high end ethnic stuff. Then i dive into recipes i would not have thought about. One year it was Ukrainian food (not a big hit with the kiddos, BTW). This year I did a ton of Bengali (much more popular). I think I just have to recognize that I am bored with teh tastes and techniques of the season and therefore find something new until the local tomatoes are ripe and eggplant is cheap again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom