Food Network HD now on DirectV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched quite a bit last night. The HD channel has a different schedule than the regular one. The sound is a little better than the original; channel, even though that channel has excellent sound. One thing that really did bother me though was, watching Pairings with Andrea, you could hear her chewing.:sick: Which really turned my stomach.:dry:

I am sooo confused. Pretty soon I'll have to buy a new tv. Aren't all the channels in HD? Guess not. Dumb question - do I need a hd tv? Then there's digital. Very confusing. Do I buy a digital tv? How does it effect my cable channels?

Jeeks, your avatar - lol. How'd you do that? :LOL:

Not all channels are HD. Very few are actually. The 4 major networks are in HD as well as some other channels depending on your area and cable service.

If you are in the market for a new TV then yes you want digital. Come 2009 all broadcasts will be in digital by law so it makes sense to buy a digital TV if you are looking to buy one anyway.

HD is amazing, but it certainly is not necessary. It is a luxury. If you are buying a new TV anyway and can afford a decent HD TV then go for it. You will be amazed at how different your viewing experience is.

Check with your cable provider to see which channels they offer in HD. That might help make your decision easier.

Just a side bar to what GB said, not only will TV be broadcast digitally but pretty much every week new channels are being broadcast in HD as well as standard definition.

The days of the rabbit ears and foil are over.

We have over 20 HD channels and from a FOODIE'S perspective (sorry GB :LOL:) to see a gorgeous green olive oil poured into a white shallow bowl is pure beauty.

The color and sound are truly amazing!

Last edited:
Not all channels are HD. Very few are actually. The 4 major networks are in HD as well as some other channels depending on your area and cable service.

If you are in the market for a new TV then yes you want digital. Come 2009 all broadcasts will be in digital by law so it makes sense to buy a digital TV if you are looking to buy one anyway.

HD is amazing, but it certainly is not necessary. It is a luxury. If you are buying a new TV anyway and can afford a decent HD TV then go for it. You will be amazed at how different your viewing experience is.

Check with your cable provider to see which channels they offer in HD. That might help make your decision easier.

Thanks, GB. I keep holding off on buying a new tv, cause I just don't know what to look for/purchase - as I have cable and a VCR that is still blinking 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 - since the cable co keeps changing things/channels around, can't figure out how to program that. A little departure - can you hook up a VCR to these new tvs - or willl they soon be obsolete as well? TIA

Yes you can hook up a VCR, but those are ancient technology these days. DVD's and DVR's (Digital Video Recorders like TIVO) are the what you would want now. You can get a decent inexpensive DVD player and a lot of cable companies offer DVR's that just replace your standard cable box.

We have a big-screen digital HD tv downstairs, & a smaller (34") flat-screen digital tv upstairs. We get satellite tv to both sets, but only have the HD box downstairs. Frankly, I enjoy my little upstairs flat screen just as much, if not more, than the behemoth downstairs. Picture is nice & sharp, sound is terrific - I frankly don't need anything more. But then I'm not as much of an audio/video-phile as my husband, who has enough audio & video equipment to fully equip a small country. Not to mention we own - literally - several thousand CD's & well over a thousand DVD's now.

I say, if you like the picture & the sound, & the equipment is up to current & near future standards of the broadcasting that you want, that's all you need.

Yes you can hook up a VCR, but those are ancient technology these days. DVD's and DVR's (Digital Video Recorders like TIVO) are the what you would want now. You can get a decent inexpensive DVD player and a lot of cable companies offer DVR's that just replace your standard cable box.

There's a box? I'm a virtual dinasoar when it comes to all this hi-tech equipment. Heard about Tivo. Don't know where to start. Thanks for the 'input'. :)

Back
Top Bottom