"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Not in the States so perhaps irrelevant to all of you, but I order meat from a butcher's in the north of England as presents or as my contribution to family gatherings. It's delivered fresh in polystyrene packaging with ice gel packs. The quality is outstanding according to my mum, much better than her local supermarkets, which is where most Brits buy their meat now that a lot of independent butchers have closed.

The experience was so good that I've bought food from other online outlets and never had any problems.
Snoop Puss, I have been disappointed with the local market's meat dept on occasion); and there are no butchers close by. One of the down sides to having groceries delivered here, is that I get whatever the 'personal' shopper pulled from a warehouse. Last time the ribs were too fatty, and prior to that - not the cut I wanted.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
We order from cajungrocer.com and have always been very pleased with the products and how they are packed. We order items we can't get around here - boudin, tasso, seasonings, etc.
Thank you, callie. Will check that one out as well.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
I order most of my grocery/staples from 2 big markets and have them delivered for $9.95. Wondered if anyone has ordered any speciality food items like Kansas City Steaks or Maryland Crab Cakes, lobster, cheesecake. Have you been pleased with the product(s), do they arrive fresh? Any recommendations? TIA
If the service (most of my grocery/staples, delivered) was available for ten bucks I might go for it. As it is, I've only bought items online that I wanted badly but couldn't buy locally. So far, only green (unroasted) coffee beans, dried corn, and powdered cheese. I hope it will be possible to buy most groceries online from local suppliers in the near future.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Miss Mish...
Are there any specific items you are looking at/for etc.
Mostly steak, and probably the crab cakes.

One site I'm considering(?) is Schwan's. There are a few different cuts of steak, and they have crab cakes. Since I'm not in their delivery area, their rep said they would ship via ups in cold packs (no delivery charge)... but I've never ordered from that co, & some of the steaks look pricey. (Or is it just me?)

Well, maybe the Angus Burger, and the stuffed wild salmon looks good too lol.

https://www.schwans.com/default.aspx?tb=1

I have been tempted to order from Katz's & a knish place in NYC, Schimmel's? Can't recall the exact name). Will see if I can find & post the links. They are pricey, as I recall. Thank you, Mr. Uncle Bob.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
If the service (most of my grocery/staples, delivered) was available for ten bucks I might go for it. As it is, I've only bought items online that I wanted badly but couldn't buy locally. So far it's only been green (unroasted) coffee beans, dried corn, and powdered cheese. I hope it will be possible to buy most groceries online from local suppliers in the near future.
I hope so too. We definitely need more of a selection. Here's hoping, for the future. I do like the convenience, i.e. driving/parking, checkout lines & gas $.

You can't always get what you want... but, I can get what I need. lol
Old 03-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I have had Omaha steaks and assorted other foods from the company and I think they're pretty good.

We get them as gifts but I don't think I'd pay the price if I bought them myself.
Thank you, HB. My fingers will be heading over that way soon.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Omaha Steaks has a pretty good sale going on right now.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #28
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I have ordered from Schwans, since they go right by my house. I use to order ice cream novelties (differant than in local grocery) and their bagel dogs w/cheese for my son. Looks like the prices have gone up though. What I have boughten have been very good. Their choc. malt push ups are yummy !