Food Shopping On Line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I order most of my grocery/staples from 2 big markets and have them delivered for $9.95. Wondered if anyone has ordered any speciality food items like Kansas City Steaks or Maryland Crab Cakes, lobster, cheesecake. Have you been pleased with the product(s), do they arrive fresh? Any recommendations? TIA

I have had Omaha steaks and assorted other foods from the company and I think they're pretty good.

We get them as gifts but I don't think I'd pay the price if I bought them myself.

Miss Mish...

I have never ordered any speciality foods...I have often been tempted.
No 1...The base price I find to expensive for what it is + shipping.
No.2... I do not trust the product to be "as represented" "as advertised"

In a nut shell...I think it is to expensive and believe the quality would be fair to good...Not much bang for my buck!!

Are there any specific items you are looking at/for etc.

I have ordered Crab Cakes, Omaha Steaks and Cheesecake form QVC. I order from Vons.com and if you spend $150.00 it only costs $5.95. They are having a special on right now and if you order $50.00 before March 15 it will only cost you $5.95.

In order for you to quality for this special offer you must put in a Promotion Code which is STOCKUP.

:) Ive ordered from German food from GermanDeli.com Cheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet
and many other sites for non perishible foods and have alway had a great experience.
germandeli packs their food really well,as does igourmet.In fact I just placed and order with igourmet and got their once a year free shipping if I spent at least $75.00 that wasn't hard to do at all.
I can't get the stuff anywhere around here,and actually Igourmet isn't that expensive when it comes to all their cheese from all over the world.I think their gift baskets are expensive but I guess most baskets are.
You kinda need to do your homework on some of these sites as some are much more expensive than others.
Are you looking for something in particular?

I've had Omaha steaks that a customer gave me.... they were ok. I didn't see anything worthy of all the hype except for their freezing method maybe.
I've ordered presents from Maine Lobster Direct (lobster, cheescake and chowder dinners) and the people were extremely happy with them. Very little prep and explicit instructions. Of course, I think the surprise of having a "gourmet" meal delivered to your door is half of it. Those I will continue doing on occassion.

We order from cajungrocer.com and have always been very pleased with the products and how they are packed. We order items we can't get around here - boudin, tasso, seasonings, etc.

Andy M. said:
The andouille had an off taste I didn't like.

Well believe it or not I am sitting here snacking on some now..taste real good to me!! However my taste buds might be somewhat dulled by the Wild Turkey!;)
I do not mail order it as La Place(Jacob's) is within driving distance of me. So I (think) I am getting it fresh as they move a lot of it. It may be the smoke..pecan and sugar cane stalks..kinda different. But you said you liked the Tasso..so maybe not. I do know, as I am sure you do there are a lot of Andouille's(?????) on the market. I think every meat packer in the U.S. markets it. They take regular smoked pork sasuage, add cayenne and garlic and Voila! Andouille! Obviously it is not the same thing.
Have you ordered it more than once?? Could have been a bad batch. They do have an excellent reputation however. Anyways..thanks for responding!

Andy..

I just ate some of the tasso..I think I might understand what you are saying.
The tasso is of course cured like ham and smoked...and the andouille is made from ham, shoulders, and parts etc. then smoked. So the tasso is much more flavorful eaten "out of hand". So I would agree that in side by side taste test the tasso is.. different maybe better. Anyways I mostly cook with it so in Red beans, gumbos etc.etc. the andouille is a good thing.

Uncel Bob, I cooked the sausage in black bean soup. When I sampled it after tasting it in the soup, I got the same off flavor. I didn't decide it tasted bad in comparison to the tasso, I decided it didn't taste good on it's own.

Andy..

Gotcha...Maybe try it again..If you still get the off flavor..would be time to move on to something else. Next time I cook with it I'll see what I come up with.. Could be you just don't like that particular Jacob product and hey thats why they make Chevy's and Fords!! Thanks again for the response and conversation.

UB

We order a fair amount of grub on the web.

Both for us and for gifts.

There are a whole lot of foods out there we cannot find locally and that are fairly reasonable on the web (there are many sites that charge outrageous prices and we just pass them by, thank you).

My favorite source was Balducci's, but they stopped shipping a number of years ago. Their food was always perfect. Was always amazed how a place in New Jersey (I think that was where they shipped from, the original store was in NYC I believe) could cook the food, freeze it, ship it, and when cooked according to their simple directions, taste so wonderful.

But that is history, sigh.

Find the web no more chancy than trying a new item at a local store.

Just my take on things, take care.

Not in the States so perhaps irrelevant to all of you, but I order meat from a butcher's in the north of England as presents or as my contribution to family gatherings. It's delivered fresh in polystyrene packaging with ice gel packs. The quality is outstanding according to my mum, much better than her local supermarkets, which is where most Brits buy their meat now that a lot of independent butchers have closed.

The experience was so good that I've bought food from other online outlets and never had any problems.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Ive ordered from German food from GermanDeli.com Cheese, Specialty Food, Gourmet Gift Baskets, Cheese Gifts: igourmet
and many other sites for non perishible foods and have alway had a great experience.
germandeli packs their food really well,as does igourmet.In fact I just placed and order with igourmet and got their once a year free shipping if I spent at least $75.00 that wasn't hard to do at all.
I can't get the stuff anywhere around here,and actually Igourmet isn't that expensive when it comes to all their cheese from all over the world.I think their gift baskets are expensive but I guess most baskets are.
You kinda need to do your homework on some of these sites as some are much more expensive than others.
Are you looking for something in particular?

Thank you for the links. YUM!!! I poked around a bit, & this cheese looks amazing:

boschetto.jpg

Boschetto al Tartufo Bianchetto

Explore the amazing scents and flavor of Boschetto. Its base is a sweet, tender and mild cheese made from a careful blend of sheep’s and cow’s milk. Mixed throughout are shavings of rare white truffle that transform the cheese into an addictive delicacy. Il Forteto‘s master cheese-maker has unveiled a harmony between the pronounced, earthy tones of rare white truffles and blended-milk cheese. Il Forteto hand-packs each finished piece in its own wooden basket.

I will go back & look around a bit more. ;)

jpmcgrew said:
:) I think Legal Sea Foods - The Standard for Quality and Freshness in the Restaurant Business. is outragously expensive as opposed toOmaha Steaks: Steak, Seafood and More
The latter selling seafood also but at a better price and when the have a sale you can save even more.

Thank you again, jpmc. The lobster grabbed my attention at first glance (1st link):

I will definitely look through the Omaha Steaks site. (I said Kansas City steaks, but Omaha was the one I had in mind.) Much appreciated. ;)

pacanis said:
I've had Omaha steaks that a customer gave me.... they were ok. I didn't see anything worthy of all the hype except for their freezing method maybe.
I've ordered presents from Maine Lobster Direct (lobster, cheescake and chowder dinners) and the people were extremely happy with them. Very little prep and explicit instructions. Of course, I think the surprise of having a "gourmet" meal delivered to your door is half of it. Those I will continue doing on occassion.

I have heard of Lobster Direct & wondered if they were good. Thanks for the thumbs up. ;)

Back
Top Bottom