Food shopping when hungry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Do you go food shopping when you are hungry and end up buying stuff you probably wouldn't if you were not hungry?

I know others who do, but I have a strict rule: I eat a big breakfast just before going to the store. I also adhere to my list. (I'm just a bit ocd...)

I only shop every two weeks, same day, same time, set amount of cash, strict list. I've always had a good meal before shopping, so being hungry isn't an issue for me. Don't stray from my plan.

As a result, there is essentially no impulse buying or buying things not on my list. Buck and I eat a great variety of foods and eat well.

Actually, I've never really shopped while hungry. I would imagine that could throw a real monkey wrench into your food shopping plans.

I don't go to the store hungry, for the same reason. Just about as bad though is shopping when I am full. Then nothing seems to look good!

:)Barbara

I try to stick to just what is on my list, but, I will always see something that I know we need and didn't get on the list.

I usually have the food police with me now, but before I never ate til I was finished then we would go out for lunch..I stick to what is on my list, straying off only if I see something that I would like to try for a meal, appy or dessert..My big down fall is the cheese department, oh boy that is where I find the neatest things like the fig spread and lavender honey..That is when I look the basket over and if it's not crammed full already we get one of the items and make a note to look for the others next time..Of course now as I said the food police follows me and looks at the price of every item and gives his opinion on them. Do we need that, yep you ate all the rest of what was at home, can't we get this one it's cheaper...and on and on..I have to gently remind him, I'm spending MY money not his for the food.. Then we finish up and things rest til the next time:LOL:

kadesma

:) I do my best not to shop hungry even a couple of trail bars help. If I shop hungry I come home with some crazy stuff because it all looks soo good when I'm hungry.

I've gone to the store hungry too many times and I always end up with half of the bakery department in my cart. Now, I make sure I eat something before I go in. But while I do always have a list, I get lots of ideas for meals and special things from what catches my eye at the store. So when I go, I don't like to be rushed so that I can be inspired. (CJ, I used to have a "food police" that went with me too, always questioning or commenting on what I selected so I know what you mean.)

I've read not to shop when I'm hungry, but I don't pay it much attention.
I do have a list, usually of what's on sale, but sometimes I get a taste for something. It's not like I'm hungry enough to eat out of the shopping cart :)

...the food police follows me and looks at the price of every item and gives his opinion on them. Do we need that, yep you ate all the rest of what was at home, can't we get this one it's cheaper...
I'm not sure which is worse! I've got the big "kid" throwing stuff in the cart. I can reason with him about a few of the things, but unlike shopping with kids, I can't really tell him no, since I did not give birth to him but married him! Also, I can't rely on him to ask me, if I "really need that" (when we are really low on money, or my hips and upper abdomen are big on fat) because he just always says to get what I want. That is a blessing in some ways, but a curse in others!

:)Barbara

May be the absolute worse[or is it worst] person regarding this.
When you swallow hard at just looking at something yummy, run quickly out before the bank hears about your spending...
sometimes, I have a list, other times, no list. if it's a quick shopping spree, I'm pretty good but I don't like those kind, I like slow and long walks down each aisle and food in me or not, I can always grab an apple or a pear, take one same size so they can weigh it, and spend hours in there.

Last edited:
Yes, I have shopped for food when hungry... cost me an extra $100 doing that too!!!! I try to make it a point to eat something prior to shopping, it's like eating a giant coupon to me!

I heard that never shop when I am hungry. This rule doesn't apllicable for me, I never bought useless food stuffs when I am shopping hungry.

One thing happens to me: if I cook when I am hungry the dishes tastes better.

I know the rule and try to adhere to it but often end up shopping at lunchtime so while I will often end up picking up something not on my "need list" nor my "specials list", I try to limit it to only something small and not of the sweet/dessert variety. I like to browse the aisles for new products or specials that aren't listed in the catalogue. Today there was a clearance on packet soups and boxes of chocolates from Valentines Day at about half price and in date, so I picked them up. (One box was A$6.50 down from A$15! Ideal present for somebody.)

Today was filled with temptations though as I haven't had any catalogues for a couple of weeks so didn't have a list. Hate that!!!!

I shop after my workout at the gym. Which means I'm hungry or thirsty or both. In fact, it has been a blessing that I over-spend when I shop given that we've been snow or ice bound much of the year!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom