"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Master Chef
Food shopping when hungry

Do you go food shopping when you are hungry and end up buying stuff you probably wouldn't if you were not hungry?

LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen
I know others who do, but I have a strict rule: I eat a big breakfast just before going to the store. I also adhere to my list. (I'm just a bit ocd...)

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Master Chef
Yes, which is why we now make sure to eat before we go, and stick to the grocery list we made up before hand.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I NEVER do it, one of the first rules I learned being on my own. Go full, bye what you need, no what you have the impulse to buy.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I only shop every two weeks, same day, same time, set amount of cash, strict list. I've always had a good meal before shopping, so being hungry isn't an issue for me. Don't stray from my plan.

As a result, there is essentially no impulse buying or buying things not on my list. Buck and I eat a great variety of foods and eat well.

Actually, I've never really shopped while hungry. I would imagine that could throw a real monkey wrench into your food shopping plans.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I don't go to the store hungry, for the same reason. Just about as bad though is shopping when I am full. Then nothing seems to look good!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Master Chef
I try to stick to just what is on my list, but, I will always see something that I know we need and didn't get on the list.
texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
I usually have the food police with me now, but before I never ate til I was finished then we would go out for lunch..I stick to what is on my list, straying off only if I see something that I would like to try for a meal, appy or dessert..My big down fall is the cheese department, oh boy that is where I find the neatest things like the fig spread and lavender honey..That is when I look the basket over and if it's not crammed full already we get one of the items and make a note to look for the others next time..Of course now as I said the food police follows me and looks at the price of every item and gives his opinion on them. Do we need that, yep you ate all the rest of what was at home, can't we get this one it's cheaper...and on and on..I have to gently remind him, I'm spending MY money not his for the food.. Then we finish up and things rest til the next time

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
Executive Chef
I do my best not to shop hungry even a couple of trail bars help. If I shop hungry I come home with some crazy stuff because it all looks soo good when I'm hungry.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Executive Chef
I've gone to the store hungry too many times and I always end up with half of the bakery department in my cart. Now, I make sure I eat something before I go in. But while I do always have a list, I get lots of ideas for meals and special things from what catches my eye at the store. So when I go, I don't like to be rushed so that I can be inspired. (CJ, I used to have a "food police" that went with me too, always questioning or commenting on what I selected so I know what you mean.)

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote