Food Smells You Cannot Stand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somehow, some way, who knows? About 5 years ago I was towards the end of menopause. It was the Friday after Thanksgiving. I was removing the meat from a 20+ lb turkey and stewing the carcass. It smelled just horrible. I kept on going. Just as I was about to trash the entire bird, thinking that somehow I'd managed to poison it (which I've never done in my life), my husband came down and said, wow, if there is anything better than a roasting turkey on Thanksgiving, it is the aroma of turkey soup the day after.

I realized that somehow, my sense of smell went off. Really off. I've heard of people losing their sense of smell, but things started smelling truly bad, things that I normally loved.

It gradually came back. With one exception. Why can it not be something Fattening or bad for me? Cucumbers and watermelon. They smell exactly the same. I rationally realize that they have a mild flavor and aroma, but they still smell and taste repulsive. And I used to love these, really love them! Dear force in heaven, give me back cucumbers and watermelon! Please, I want them back!

Claire, a girl I went to school with had the same thing happen. She was Italian and the smell of tomatoes, canned and fresh smelled worse than skunk cabbage. Imagine, an Italian that can't stand the smell of tomatoes. Menopause does some strange things to you. :angel:

Doesn't everyone hate the smell of overcooked cruciferous vegetables? I think it is instinctual, really. I don't think I've ever met a child who didn't dislike over-boiled cabbage, brussels sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower. I was a teen before I discovered you could eat brocolli and cauliflower raw! With dip! Yay! Then I got my own kitchen and discovered I could stir fry or lightly steam them. Yay!

Doesn't everyone hate the smell of overcooked cruciferous vegetables? I think it is instinctual, really...

You'd think it was universal but may of the posters here don't mention it. Maybe they haven't experienced it?!

You'd think it was universal but may of the posters here don't mention it. Maybe they haven't experienced it?!
I mentioned that, back on page 2 of this discussion, but I called them brassicas. Cruciferous is a better description, because mustard is a brassica and I don't think mustard greens would have that same foul smell if overcooked.

Back
Top Bottom