Foods that strike fear...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Packaging & Foods That Are A Turn Off

Good Morning.

Interesting and controversial post, of importance. Thank you for posting.

From my viewpoint, layers of horrid thick plastic packaging is far more a turn off than anything else.

I do have to say, that the word "Fear" is a bit strong of a word, considering terrorist attacks run rampant in EU countries that are members of NATO & THE UN, with hits on innocent citizens in train stations, public bldgs, hotels and bus stations, which I fear, far worse than, the private selection of intelligent purchasing power of products; I do avoid like the plague anyway ...

I have two grown daughters ( 29 and 30 ) who are Moms too, would be most difficult considering my I was only born in 1962.

TURN OFFS for me in general are products with Wilted Greens or Herbs garnishing a Grey off colored Cement Looking Block of horrid,
Unsustainable Soy krap called Tofu or its equivalents. This is Gross.

I am far more concerned with Additives in packaged foods, and thus, here in the Mediterranean, I infrequently buy at the mass market supermarkets. I prefer to pay a bit more, and go to the Central Markets - sort of similar to a Farmer´s Market with Butchers, Fish Mongers and Farmers, and where everything is fresh, just caught and locally grown or raised.

Have nice weekend.
Margaux Cintrano.

Last edited:
I agree with Margi that fear is not the right word.

There are lots of things at the supermarket that I just don't consider food. I tend to just skip over them. Once in a while I will pick one up and read the ingredients and think "ew!".

Canned asparagus, jarred herring, jarred pickles, jarred spaghetti sauce, most canned fruits, canned corned beef, most Cross & Blackwell products, canned octopus...

I see we agree on most canned and jarred foods.

A good rule of thumb when shopping at the market, is to shop the outer parameters of same - fresh produce, seafood, dairy, bakery, etc. The center aisles, for the most part, are stocked with packaged, canned foods. I do buy certain items from the center of the market, staples, pasta & sundries, etc. The big markets here have a fresh bakery, deli etc. Personally, I would not buy food from Wal-mart - or packaged sandwich lunchmeat. Slimy & disgusting.

Canned peas. I once picked an entire can of petit pois out of a salad at a restaurant. The owner thought it was for the person I was with, a friend of the owner, and added them to be nice. Yuck. I did give one a try.

Canned peas. I once picked an entire can of petit pois out of a salad at a restaurant. The owner thought it was for the person I was with, a friend of the owner, and added them to be nice. Yuck. I did give one a try.
I grew up on those. My overworked, underpaid, mom fed us those and green(grey) beans from a can. Love my mom more than anything. Hated those veggies more than anything.:LOL:

I grew up on those. My overworked, underpaid, mom fed us those and green(grey) beans from a can. Love my mom more than anything. Hated those veggies more than anything.:LOL:

I feel the same way about my parents, they did the best they could with what they had. Years later I found out my Mom and Dad often went to bed hungry and their children...never.

Most supermarkets have an aisle I'll call "side dishes". It consists of various envelopes or boxes of starches and seasoning powders that, when reconstituted, allegedly make things somewhat reminiscent of pasta, rice, or stuffing. Most of these things bear little resemblance to the real foods they are modeled after.

If you plan a meal, it takes such little time to create most of these dishes from scratch, so I've never understood the reasoning behind buying this boxed/packaged crap. They aren't really all that convenient. I won't even go into the chemicals they contain.

Let's take boxed hash browns, for example. You mix this with water and cook in a frying pan for 20 minutes..

Betty%20Crocker%20Seasoned%20Skillets%20Hash%20Brown%205.2oz%20147g%206%20half%20cup%20500.jpg

In that same amount of time, you can grate three potatoes and fry up a batch of crispy fresh hash browns that taste a thousand times better. Why would you go for the box?

I navigate a wide berth around this aisle.
I know what you mean! Someone gave me a box of Hamburger Helper several years ago. Not only was it so salty it was pretty much inedible, but it would have been much simpler to make from scratch!

I have a 1.5 quart baking dish. Just the right size for scalloped potatoes for one. I haven't had them for ages. :yum::yum:

Oddly enough, the one aisle I thought I was done with after all the kids left home was the cereal aisle. But I find myself there trying to find cereal that kids will eat for the food bank. And while I am there, I pick up a box of Chex or Cheerios or myself. Two of my favorite snack foods. Just plain right out of the box. No milk or sugar.

When I buy for the food bank, I have to get sugary cereal. Some families don't have sugar. And kids won't eat cereal without sugar. I would like to know that they don't go to school hungry. :ermm:

Oddly enough, the one aisle I thought I was done with after all the kids left home was the cereal aisle. But I find myself there trying to find cereal that kids will eat for the food bank. And while I am there, I pick up a box of Chex or Cheerios or myself. Two of my favorite snack foods. Just plain right out of the box. No milk or sugar. I liked Wheaties and Cheerios.

When I buy for the food bank, I have to get sugary cereal. Some families don't have sugar. And kids won't eat cereal without sugar. I would like to know that they don't go to school hungry. :ermm:
The only cereal I wanted sugar on as a kid was oatmeal. I don't know why my mother told me that Rice Krispies only go "snap, crackle, pop" if you put sugar on them. I'm sure I would have eaten them more often without sugar.

I like Spoon Size Shredded Wheat straight out of the box. I remember watching an episode of Mike Hammer. Someone asked him how he knew he was tough. He replied, "I eat Shredded Wheat with no milk." I said to myself, "I must be tough." 'cause I had my hand in a box of Shredded Wheat. :LOL: Too bad I can't find the spoon sized ones anymore. Now it's all that Kelloggs c**p with sugar on it. Don't like those.

Cool Whip.

I grew up eating it, my mom always had some in the fridge, and we had plenty of Cool Whip to-go containers, so mom didn't have to try to get her Tupperware back.

MY tastes have changed, and I just don't like the stuff, to me the flavor, in no way resembles whipped cream. The ingredient list is pretty awful to boot.

At work I have to decorate cakes with Rich's Bettercream, it tastes pretty much the same as Cool Whip and has a similarly creepy ingredient list. It has gotten to the point where I don't even like the smell of it.

The only cereal I wanted sugar on as a kid was oatmeal. I don't know why my mother told me that Rice Krispies only go "snap, crackle, pop" if you put sugar on them. I'm sure I would have eaten them more often without sugar.

I like Spoon Size Shredded Wheat straight out of the box. I remember watching an episode of Mike Hammer. Someone asked him how he knew he was tough. He replied, "I eat Shredded Wheat with no milk." I said to myself, "I must be tough." 'cause I had my hand in a box of Shredded Wheat. :LOL: Too bad I can't find the spoon sized ones anymore. Now it's all that Kelloggs c**p with sugar on it. Don't like those.

As a kid, my mother would take two large SW biscuits, pour very hot water over them, drain and press out as much water as possible, and then pour milk over them with a sprinkle of sugar. I think it was her version of a hot cereal? :chef:

As a kid, my mother would take two large SW biscuits, pour very hot water over them, drain and press out as much water as possible, and then pour milk over them with a sprinkle of sugar. I think it was her version of a hot cereal? :chef:
A lot of people skip the first step and just put sugar and hot milk on them. They advertised that as a way to turn it into hot cereal, but it never sounded good to me (and I love some hot cereals).

My store carries cilantro sauce in a jar. To me cilantro is vile, and I can't imagine creating a whole sauce out of it. It would taste like a jar of soap to me. I even hate the smell of it.
Me too! There is a great mexican restaurant we go to, sometimes. I have to say no cilantro, in order to eat it.

I have to admit I'm not a food snob. I love homemade things and have to bend the rules, sometimes. Money is an issue on occasion, as well as time.

I can think of a couple things... sugar or fat-free ice cream and sodium-free V8 juice.... bleh.

I hate commercials for junk food. I am so good about avoiding crap food, because I don't generally keep it around the house, but ice cream commercials make me want to go out and buy it!! Hm.

I hate anything pre-made. Thank G-d we keep kosher in Minnesota. In Minnesota there is nothing pre-made. I have to “pre-made” everything myself. :LOL:
But I do have to admit. The pre-made guacamole is really good. It has no taste and no flavor; I think they are lying when they say they add anything to avocado. It comes out cheaper to buy that stuff, than fresh avocado and because I usually need like 2 dozens avocadoes to make guacamole I simply buy this “readymade” stuff and then make it into real guacamole my elf.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom