Foods that strike fear...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oddly enough, the one aisle I thought I was done with after all the kids left home was the cereal aisle. But I find myself there trying to find cereal that kids will eat for the food bank. And while I am there, I pick up a box of Chex or Cheerios or myself. Two of my favorite snack foods. Just plain right out of the box. No milk or sugar.

When I buy for the food bank, I have to get sugary cereal. Some families don't have sugar. And kids won't eat cereal without sugar. I would like to know that they don't go to school hungry. :ermm:

As a child I preferred Kix and Life cereal without added sugar. They might not be the best cereal you can get but I think my choices were a bit better then the Lucky Charms/ Fruit Loops etc. that my brother loved. :yum:

I love rice or corn chex Addie, right out of the box. :)

I like to eat a little cereal instead of having cake or cookies or brownies or something... I find portion control is easier with cereal

As a child I preferred Kix and Life cereal without added sugar. They might not be the best cereal you can get but I think my choices were a bit better then the Lucky Charms/ Fruit Loops etc. that my brother loved. :yum:

I love rice or corn chex Addie, right out of the box. :)

The Chex cereals have a lot of flavor just out of the box. And a great snack for the high chair tray. :yum:

As a child, the snacks that I liked were nuts, and Slim Jim's sausage, cold hot dogs, Big chunks of cheese, and the worst one, potato chips. I also like Brach's Chocolate Stars, and chocolate covered raisins/peanuts.

Thisgs I ran from as a kid are still things I run from today, aka candy mints of all kinds, except for basil and oregano. As far as foods go, the only ones I ran from as a child were deviled ham, and okra.

Now, I stay away from all boxed meals, such as boxed pizza kits, foil-packed pizza kits, hamburger helper and its various clones, boxed scalloped spuds, caned pasta products, and thinks like that. I also stay away from things like salmon, as I purchased what I thought was good Atlantic Salmon from a local grocer, with a beautiful orange-pink color, that bled out when it was cooked. The fish was dyed. I can catch beautiful salmon and all kinds of fish where I live. Won't purchase it from a grocer again.

And now, I have made a promise to myself to stay away from high glycemic index/load foods as well as cereal bars and such as they do the body much more harm than good. I will opt for healthy snacks such as fresh fruit, and veggies, and include squashes instead of spuds in my meals. I love them anyway, and they are so much healthier, as are veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, and many kinds of beans.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I think of cereal and kids, I think Cheerios. A big treat for me was that my grandma would buy little box cereals when I visited--my favorite was Frosted Flakes. That is the only time I got "pre-sugared" cereal. And, because she got her milk from a farm, the cream on top of the cereal...At home, we ate shredded wheat or oatmeal topped with bananas. Is it any wonder I hate bananas? I was "over bananaed" as a child.

Last edited:
Chief Longwind Of The North said:
As a child, the snacks that I liked were nuts, and Slim Jim's sausage, cold hot dogs, Big chunks of cheese, and the worst one, potato chips. I also like Brach's Chocolate Stars, and chocolate covered raisins/peanuts.

Thisgs I ran from as a kid are still things I run from today, aka candy mints of all kinds, except for basil and oregano. As far as foods go, the only ones I ran from as a child were deviled ham, and okra.

Now, I stay away from all boxed meals, such as boxed pizza kits, foil-packed pizza kits, hamburger helper and its various clones, boxed scalloped spuds, caned pasta products, and thinks like that. I also stay away from things like salmon, as I purchased what I thought was good Atlantic Salmon from a local grocer, with a beautiful orange-pink color, that bled out when it was cooked. The fish was dyed. I can catch beautiful salmon and all kinds of fish where I live. Won't purchase it from a grocer again.

And now, I have made a promise to myself to stay away from high glycemic index/load foods as well as cereal bars and such as they do the body much more harm than good. I will opt for healthy snacks such as fresh fruit, and veggies, and include squashes instead of spuds in my meals. I love them anyway, and they are so much healthier, as are veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, and many kinds of beans.

Unfortunately farmed salmon are fed fish meal, so they don't get to eat the shrimp and krill that turns wild salmon pink. I don't think it necessarily affects the quality, it just isn't what we are used to. Lobsters that have a lot of shrimp in their diet have a pinkish color too. I always explain that to guests when they get a pink lobster so they don't complain about it.

Unfortunately farmed salmon are fed fish meal, so they don't get to eat the shrimp and krill that turns wild salmon pink. I don't think it necessarily affects the quality, it just isn't what we are used to. Lobsters that have a lot of shrimp in their diet have a pinkish color too. I always explain that to guests when they get a pink lobster so they don't complain about it.

So what gives wild Brook Trout, and land-locked rainbows their orange flesh? Again, I know that the planted brookies, rainbows and browns have white flesh, and less flavor.

So what gives wild Brook Trout, and land-locked rainbows their orange flesh? Again, I know that the planted brookies, rainbows and browns have white flesh, and less flavor.

From the crustaceans they eat. Wild caught trout can vary in color from white, pink, red, to orange. All types of trout will eat just about anything. Steelhead trout are the darkest, most salmon-like because they live in the ocean and go upstream to breed.

From the crustaceans they eat. Wild caught trout can vary in color from white, pink, red, to orange. All types of trout will eat just about anything. Steelhead trout are the darkest, most salmon-like because they live in the ocean and go upstream to breed.

Yep, steelheads are rainbows that have gone to sea and come back again.

I do so enjoy good trout from the streams that feed Lake Superior. I definitely don't run from them.:LOL:

Yep, steelheads are rainbows that have gone to sea and come back again.

I do so enjoy good trout from the streams that feed Lake Superior. I definitely don't run from them.:LOL:

I did not know that! I thought steelhead was in its own category :)

Anyone remember this?

Orbitzsoda.jpg

I thought they still made it, but evidently the company went out of business due to poor sales. Hmm... I wonder why?

Steve Kroll said:
Anyone remember this?

I thought they still made it, but evidently the company went out of business due to poor sales. Hmm... I wonder why?

Ha ha I liked these- reminds me of boba. I don't like to drink my calories tho, so I certainly wasn't helping them stay in business.

Back
Top Bottom