Foods that strike fear...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Foods that strike fear into the hearts of strong men (and women):

Was walking through Wal Mart last night, to purchase some ingredients (fresh peppers) to make Carne Asada this weekend. While walking past the frozen fish and chicken case, I saw bags of frozen carne asada, pre-made. I quickly stepped away from the case, repelled as if I was the south pole of a strong magnet coming too close to another magnetic south pole. The same reaction occurs whenever I pas pre-made guacamole in the produce aisle.

What pre-packaged/pre-made foods repel you, though you've never tried them, or given them a chance, simply because of the reputation of the store, or from past experience with similar items?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Pre-marinated anything. Pre-packaged fixings, like seeing a roast packaged with the potatoes, carrots and celery in the meat case or pre-stuffed pork chops.

Canned asparagus, jarred herring, jarred pickles, jarred spaghetti sauce, most canned fruits, canned corned beef, most Cross & Blackwell products, canned octopus...

Last edited:
Most supermarkets have an aisle I'll call "side dishes". It consists of various envelopes or boxes of starches and seasoning powders that, when reconstituted, allegedly make things somewhat reminiscent of pasta, rice, or stuffing. Most of these things bear little resemblance to the real foods they are modeled after.

If you plan a meal, it takes such little time to create most of these dishes from scratch, so I've never understood the reasoning behind buying this boxed/packaged crap. They aren't really all that convenient. I won't even go into the chemicals they contain.

Let's take boxed hash browns, for example. You mix this with water and cook in a frying pan for 20 minutes..

Betty%20Crocker%20Seasoned%20Skillets%20Hash%20Brown%205.2oz%20147g%206%20half%20cup%20500.jpg

In that same amount of time, you can grate three potatoes and fry up a batch of crispy fresh hash browns that taste a thousand times better. Why would you go for the box?

I navigate a wide berth around this aisle.

Last edited:
Goodweed mate.Tins of Harry Ramsdens Mushy Peas strike fear into my wife heart and nose.

Smucker's Uncrustables make me sad!

Smucker's makes some fine products but that is taking the venerable PB&J to a shameful low! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Smucker's Uncrustables make me sad!

Smucker's makes some fine products but that is taking the venerable PB&J to a shameful low! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I don't care for them either but boy do my grandkids love them YUK
kades:LOL:

I don't care much for pre-made and cooked sausage, premade hamburgers, same thing for chicken already breaded and cooked, boxed and frozen Mexican foods,Pickles are fine, same with olives, mayo ketchup but I don't care for potted meats,IE deviled ham,liverwurst.
kades

My store carries cilantro sauce in a jar. To me cilantro is vile, and I can't imagine creating a whole sauce out of it. It would taste like a jar of soap to me. I even hate the smell of it.

Grocery shopping got a lot faster since I stopped looking at Everything and just buy the stuff on my grocery list. I do like to look in the deli, but usually for ideas on what to make at home.

Injected or brined meats including most grocery stores rotisserie chicken. I once bought some spare ribs that were pre treated, and didn't realize it. Learn to read the meat labels now too. And No, I do not buy pre-sauced heat and serve foods. I make better sauces (and so do you).

I have an aversion to ground chicken, but buy ground turkey.

Those box things Steve pictures are wa-ay too salty. A relative uses them when we come to dinner. I take the Polite size portion.

Pre package mixes - I do buy Lipton's french onion soup mix. I know, it's just as salty, and those boxes of Knorr vegetable soup mix? for spinach dip. I pretty much quit buying canned soups, like chix noodle, veg beef etc. I think they taste too salty and tomato soup is too sweet. I also Can't find a decent ketchup and now think Heinz is too sweet too. I think my flavor tastes have altered.

I Run the other way when I see Cool Whip. Not sure which of the 4 food groups it goes in. It's not beer, bacon, ice cream or chocolate. :wacko::huh:

I won't buy deli/ pre- packaged pasta/ macaroni/ potato salads or cole slaw. Treet, vienna sausages, spaghetti O's :ohmy:spam

Last edited:
Well, that does it for me. "Everything I avoid has already been mentioned. Packaged sides? Way too salty. Marinated meats? No thanks. Too much sugar in the marinade and I have yet to taste any pre marinated meat that I like. Packaged onion soup mixes. Used for dips only. And only if I am going to mix a pint or more of sour cream with one envelope. For parties only. Cool Whip comes under the food heading of Chemicals. Bet you didn't know it was a food group.

And yes. My taste buds have certainly changed over the years. Prefer low sodium. No sweets except sugar in my coffee. One small bag of chips about once a month, Very rarely drink soda, And then only ginger ale. I prefer scratch foods. Very rarely eat frozen veggies and only canned LeSeur tiny petite peas. I even find myself cutting off the fat from my foods. I now find that it leaves a greasy coating in my mouth. I have cut WAAAY back on my use of butter. Raising a family you buy what you can afford. But in the past ten-fifteen years, my diet has done a complete turn around.

I have a Hamburger Helper Cheesy Skillet Dinner that is 20 years old. Bought it as a joke for my Mom when she came to visit. It's been shipped back and forth between us for all those years. I usually tuck it into any package I happen to be sending to her and she has often sent it back to me in return post.

I have a Hamburger Helper Cheesy Skillet Dinner that is 20 years old. Bought it as a joke for my Mom when she came to visit. It's been shipped back and forth between us for all those years. I usually tuck it into any package I happen to be sending to her and she has often sent it back to me in return post.

:yum: :yum: :yum: When can I come to dinner? :wacko:

Foods that strike fear into the hearts of strong men (and women):

Was walking through Wal Mart last night, to purchase some ingredients (fresh peppers) to make Carne Asada this weekend. While walking past the frozen fish and chicken case, I saw bags of frozen carne asada, pre-made. I quickly stepped away from the case, repelled as if I was the south pole of a strong magnet coming too close to another magnetic south pole. The same reaction occurs whenever I pas pre-made guacamole in the produce aisle.

What pre-packaged/pre-made foods repel you, though you've never tried them, or given them a chance, simply because of the reputation of the store, or from past experience with similar items?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Maybe I'm a tad off topic, but... the closest Wal-Mart is miles from home, in a bad neighborhood, & only has a minimal frozen food section. The front of the store was piled up with junk food, chips & soda. I've seen recent ads for steaks, but I doubt the store I've been to would carry them. It's more like a K-mart.

Herring in a jar. Never tried it, but don't have any desire to.

I liked herring in a jar in Denmark. Once every year or two, I find some pickled herring that looks like it should be good. The one from Finland that I bought about 10 years ago was delightful. The rest have run from meh to oh yuck. The stuff at Ikea is full of weird chemicals. The locally produced stuff is sweet. gah!

Back
Top Bottom