"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Spam came about during WWII. The goverment needed a source of meat for the military. Morrell had left over meat from the pig (smoked shoulder) and developed Spam with it. They got the contract. It was sent to the Pacific to see how the military would take to it For those who wouldn't eat it, it made a great item for trade with the native population. For a meat starved areas of the globe, it was a great hit. The Japanese would confiscate most local foods. But they wouldn't touch the Spam. They didn't understand the concept of canned foods. Remember at that time, the can of Spam had a key attached to it and you didn't need a can opener.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Cranberries were founded in Bay Colony by the 1st settlers in 1620, I believe it was.

To my knowledge; USA native foods:

1) cranberries
2) wild turkeys
3) salmon
4) lobsters ( Maine )

I am sure there are many other vegetables in the former Bay Colony ( New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island area in addition to the West --- only they were discovered later by the settlers )

M.C.
Cranberries are also native to Scandinavia. What a surprise.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...They didn't understand the concept of canned foods. Remember at that time, the can of Spam had a key attached to it and you didn't need a can opener.
I haven't bought or eaten SPAM for decades... (Why does the product name look better to me in all capitals?) I thought they has always had a built in key to open the can. So many canned products these days come with built in tabs to facilitate opening. It makes me wonder if can openers are slated for obsolescence.

Way back many eras ago (glacial ages ago) I once succumbed to the "on the can" recipe where you score the surface and poke in whole cloves and IIRC sprinkle with brown sugar or something, some sort of malignant parody of how hams are sometimes cooked. Surprisingly, I recall it wasn't that bad... Maybe a bit fatty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Cranberries are also native to Scandinavia. What a surprise.
Really? Or joking? I can't find an authoritative source. I had always thought cranberries were native to North America, thus the prominence in US and CA Thanksgiving celebrations.

And the turkey... I have heard that Ben Franklin wanted to make the turkey the official American bird (national emblem? whatever), instead of the eagle. I believe the story although I am sometimes gullible.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

It now come with that pull tab also. And there are now 12 different SPAM products.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Any of them SPAM Lite? (For diet conscious SPAM lovers...)
Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post

Really? Or joking? I can't find an authoritative source. I had always thought cranberries were native to North America, thus the prominence in US and CA Thanksgiving celebrations.
Vaccinium oxycoccos or Oxycoccus palustris (Common Cranberry or Northern Cranberry) is widespread throughout the cool temperate northern hemisphere, including northern Europe, northern Asia and northern North America. It has small 5–10 mm leaves. The flowers are dark pink, with a purple central spike, produced on finely hairy stems. The fruit is a small pale pink berry, with a refreshing sharp acidic flavour.

From Wikipedia. Who'd a thunk it?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Any of them SPAM Lite? (For diet conscious SPAM lovers...)
Yes, In regular size cans and half size ones.
SPAM > SPAMŽ Products

Old 02-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a special cutter for SPAM:
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Addie, I'm not sure if "well spread" indicates origin of species. Nor is Wikipedia an authoritative source, although I use it all the time myself.

It seems to me that the less SPAM you eat the lighter it is. (Or "liter" in modern terms.) I imagine the "litest" SPAM would be any empty can, or not eating it at all.

Maybe somebody should start a topic "SPAM recipes." Not me...
Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #30
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Addie, I'm not sure if "well spread" indicates origin of species. Nor is Wikipedia an authoritative source, although I use it all the time myself.

It seems to me that the less SPAM you eat the lighter it is. (Or "liter" in modern terms.) I imagine the "litest" SPAM would be any empty can, or not eating it at all.

Maybe somebody should start a topic "SPAM recipes." Not me...

Spam - the kind you eat