"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Thanks for the topic search Tat. I should have seen that coming...

There wouldn't be any SPAM topic about which I eat. I don't eat it. Too yucky for me.

Maybe I'll read that topic but I just ate dinner and I'm not so sure I wanna go there right now.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a special cutter for SPAM:

She is an out of control woman. That is three for you today. You have reached your limit.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have a special cutter for SPAM:
Does it have a name?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Limit...I thought it was "at least.." You should see my cheese knife.

Yes, TL. It's name is...Excalibur!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Addie, I'm not sure if "well spread" indicates origin of species. Nor is Wikipedia an authoritative source, although I use it all the time myself.
How about Encyclopedia Britannica: cranberry (fruit) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
Old 02-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #36
Executive Chef

From your article, "Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) fruit of any of several small creeping or trailing plants of the genus Vaccinium (family Ericaceae), related to the blueberries. The small-fruited, or northern, cranberry (V. oxycoccus) is found in marshy land in northern North America and Asia and in northern and central Europe." and "Other fruits of species in the genus Vaccinium are erroneously called cranberries. The cowberry, or foxberry (V. vitis-idaea), also known as mountain, or rock, cranberry, or as lingonberry, is not cultivated but is used in northern Europe and by Scandinavians in the United States."

Particularly noting "is found" is not equivalent to "originated from." Boa constrictors are found in Florida, doesn't mean they came from there.

Also interesting to note lingonberries evidently popular in Scandinavia, similar to but not actual cranberries.

I don't feel like pursuing the subject. I know nothing about this. All I can do is google it. I recall cranberries are native to NA but I recall lots of things that are wrong. You could write a book based upon things I'm wrong about, although it probably wouldn't be a very interesting book.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The family (genus) is Vaccinium, the subgenus is oxycoccus, the sub-sub genus is macrocarpon...which are found in North America.

You are splitting hairs Greg, they are all in the same family of fruits.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I am with you Greg. I grew up and aged quite a bit believing that cranberries were native to North America. I usually go to Wiki knowing it is not always an accurate place for info. Today is the first time that idea ever came into question. According to the Wiki cranberries grow in Scotland also then along with Northern Ireland.

I did once read that the lingonberries were similar to our cranberry. I think not only the berry is different but also the bush or vine it grows on. Our cranberry grows along the ground thus harvested with large wooden "comb scoops" or with the new method of shaking them loose in a flooded bog. I have no idea how the lingonberry in Scandinavia is harvested. I really am not intereted nor do I care. So I doubt I wil bother to look it up.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #39
Executive Chef

I would feel better seeing "native to" as opposed to "is found." This is not a subject important to me. I don't view Wikipedia as any authoritative source. I can visit it right now and change "is found" to "native to." Let's just leave it be.

Meanwhile cranberries are pretty good. Don't buy the canned ones. Get frozen or fresh, then follow the package directions but cut the sugar in half. That is all.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
From your article, "Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) fruit of any of several small creeping or trailing plants of the genus Vaccinium (family Ericaceae), related to the blueberries. The small-fruited, or northern, cranberry (V. oxycoccus) is found in marshy land in northern North America and Asia and in northern and central Europe." and "Other fruits of species in the genus Vaccinium are erroneously called cranberries. The cowberry, or foxberry (V. vitis-idaea), also known as mountain, or rock, cranberry, or as lingonberry, is not cultivated but is used in northern Europe and by Scandinavians in the United States."

Particularly noting "is found" is not equivalent to "originated from." Boa constrictors are found in Florida, doesn't mean they came from there.

Also interesting to note lingonberries evidently popular in Scandinavia, similar to but not actual cranberries.

I don't feel like pursuing the subject. I know nothing about this. All I can do is google it. I recall cranberries are native to NA but I recall lots of things that are wrong. You could write a book based upon things I'm wrong about, although it probably wouldn't be a very interesting book.
I meant cranberries, not lingonberries. The word for cranberry is different in Swedish (tranbär) or Danish (tyttebær) from the word for lingonberries, lingonbär & lingonbær. I can assure you that Scandinavians are almost as surprised that cranberries are native to North America, as North Americans are to find out that they grow indigenously in Scandinavia.