Foods to go out of your way for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My parents send me a "lobster gram" for our anniversary every year. I have no idea what it costs them, but other people want diamonds and money. I get lobsters, clams, etc. It is wonderful, and something that wouldn't be the same in a local restaurant. Yeah, they're all still alive and kicking when they show up at my door. The postal carrier (sometimes USPS, sometimes various other ones) have been known to ask me if it really is alive shelfish. Yup. So once a year it is a huge treat. I tell everyone I know that I'm expecting it, and not to expect me to do anything at all. We light the candles, buy some good wine, and make a 3 day feast of the bounty. I'd go out of my way for it, but luckily I don't have to.

I love Banana Split Ice Cream Cake and I can only get it from Vons.com. I will be placing an order soon as I am running out of things in the refrigerator and also canned foods.

It takes us about 24 hours to get to the village in Greece and we are DEAD tired by the time we get there but a stop at our favorite road side cafe for a REAL gyro is a must. We don't go to Greece just for the food but it is the first thing we do and the first thing we miss on the plane back home. : )

good quality anything! I'll drive an hour or more for a whole foods for great produce, or into the Italian Market in Phily for great cheeses and meats and charcuterie! I drive some distance for quality seafood now.Yup, it's worth it for the overall quality and as it lasts so long in the fridge if it's good quality, I actually save some money not throwing rotten food away!

When I was a teenager, we had a Coney Island restaurant on 5th and Main. Oh, I would love to have one of those Coney Dogs with a Cherry (not sure how to spell, sounds like (fas-fate) to drink.:rolleyes:

Coming from England to NY there are a lot of things I miss from back home. However there is a store in the city that sells a lot of English goods. Food I go there for include good old fashioned English bangers (sausages to you americans!), cornish pasties (they are very good from this place), cheese and onion potatoe chips - has to be Walkers (the English equivalent of Lays), Hob nobs (chocolate covered cookies). The list could go on and on!
At Christmas I was able to get mince pies, a particularly English treat! So glad I found out about this place!

I am all about seafood, so my first choice would be just about any lobster pound in Maine particularly Ogunquit and also the Trenton lobster pound, and my second choice would be 'Chicks' drive in located in West Haven, CT on Long Island Sound. Also love our local bagel shop!

Dorignac's grocery in New Orleans (maybe Kenner) for their to-die-for spumoni.

p.s. thanks to Breezy for the local tips!

Last edited:
shpj4 said:
I love Banana Split Ice Cream Cake and I can only get it from Vons.com.
Jill - I know which ones you mean - yum! Next time, trust me - try their Bananas Foster Ice Cream Cake - you won't be disappointed!

JoAnne - phosphate - YUM!!

I love to drive, as does DH, so we'll go out of our way for almost anything:chef:
Morton's Morton's, The Steakhouse | Prime Steak House | The Best Steak Anywhere
(for an amazing steak) is a good reason for a drive

I'll drive out to Pasadena, just to go to the nearest Whole Foods market.

jkath said:
I love to drive, as does DH, so we'll go out of our way for almost anything:chef: I'll drive out to Pasadena, just to go to the nearest Whole Foods market.
I think that is more common there than here. As you know I'm from California, and it wasn't anything to jump in the car (or even on a bus before I had a car) and go to other towns to shop, for entertainment, or just to go somewhere different. But so many of the people here look at us like we are nuts when we go to Charlotte just because we want to eat out, or because we want to shop at Best Buy, or whatever reason. So many of them are willing to put up with the meager offerings in this tiny town rather than drive somewhere else now and then. I do believe in financially supporting my town, and we do, but sometimes we just have to go somewhere else!

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom