"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Foods to go out of your way for

I was reading the foods I hate thread and then was intrigued by the thought of the opposite. What food would you go out of your way to get hold of. It could be a real comfort food or something that the taste just sends you flying.

Personnally my big comfort food is sausage, particularly salamis and other similar German or Italian varieites. We also would go out of way to visit a resturant in Harrogat, Yorkshire where they do family priced meals which are wonderful - the flavour of the stuffing in my son's canneloni was like nothing we had taseted before.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
Head Chef

The soft shell clams from the northeast of the US (also known as Ipswich clams).

Those are something I very much miss since moving away from the area.

Steamed or fried, those are great.

And return to New England every once in a while. Love the area, but I think it is mostly for the clams.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Around here we have to go out of our way for just about anything good (at least if we want to eat out). We drive 20 miles to the west for good Mexican food. We drive 20 miles to the northwest for Japanese, steak/prime rib, or Taco Bell (I can't help it--sometimes I have to have Taco Bell!). When we get the occasional IHOP cravings we drive 30-35 miles northwest to Charlotte (well, Matthews which is right before Charlotte). And if we are in the mood for a good Italian place we drive to Charlotte. The best shrimp around here is about 3 hours from here, but we don't drive that far just for that. Next time we go to Myrtle Beach we will head there though (in Calabash, near Myrtle Beach).

Barbara
Old 02-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Master Chef

Now it would be a lot of Asian cuisines. We no longer have a Chinese restaurant in town. We have to go to Dubuque for Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese. For Indian, Korean or Thai it is a 7-hour round trip to Chicago (which never happens since we have an elderly, somewhat incontinent dog). I enjoy cooking, but would love to have any of these cuisines closer.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:39 AM   #5
Sous Chef

White Castle Hamburgers.
Although they were never my big favorite, now that I've moved and can't get them anymore, I find myself craving them. The frozen ones just aren't the same!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Do we have to pick just one?

Growing up in New England, there was a Dunkin Donuts about every mile or so. We used to say that Dad trained his car to find all of the DDs along the route travelled, because their coffee is second to none. Even my Caribou Coffee (straight coffee now, not the more exotic beverages) can't compete. If I see a DD (which doesn't happen in MN) I stop. Wherever we travel, if I see one, I want to stop.

As others have mentioned, the New England seafood is the best. I love seafood, but generally do not order/eat it here because frankly it is lousy. That said, about 2 months ago I found the best NE clam chowder in the Midwest, but it was $6 for a (small) bowl at a ritzy restaurant.

If I ever make it back to the Cape, the one restaurant that comes most fondly to mind is Sandy's. Plus, having read GB's disheartening experience there, I want to see if it is indeed as bad as he mentioned, or if it was a bad day . . . . . one can hope, right?

The other place I'd go out of my way for is Friendly's. Another NE restaurant that I miss.

Okay, I guess I didn't mention a food specifically (well except coffee). DD, Friendly's and Sandy's I would go out of my way for, the latter again mainly to confirm GB's experience. If his experience still is true, then scratch Sandy's.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

BigDog, I can not tell you how much I am hoping we just caught Sandy's on a bad day!!! I really hope it lives up to your expectations the next time you are there.

I would go out of my way for any food that is great. We plan our vacations based on food. You better believe that Italy, Greece, Japan, and others are on our list because of that.

I have been known to go to NY for the weekend to get a good bagel or a pastrami sandwich from Katz's Deli.

Good food is always worth a trip IMO.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Last time I was in Toronto there was food vendor off of Yonge Street that sold the best gyro I've ever had. I don't know what he did to the meat or tzatziki sauce but it was absolutely to die for. I swear the thing weighed 5 pounds.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
My dad and I used to drive about 90 mintues east of our home to this teeny little roadside shanty that had the best pulled pork we've ever had.

And of course there was the drive to Chicago if we wanted some really good hot dogs or bratwurst/italian sausage. Also for great deep dish pizza.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Master Chef

I have to second Aunt Dot about soft-shell clams, having grown up harvesting my own on Long Island, NY. Luckily, during the spring-thru-fall season here in VA, there's a legitimate outdoor "truck" Maine seafood purveyor (The Great Eastern Lobster Company) about 45 minutes from me who carries the very freshest Maine seafood - including soft-shell clams. (His lobster bisque is also to die for!!) The clams sell out really fast, so I usually e-mail or phone them & ask them to hold several pounds for me to pick up. They're always glorious, sand-free, large, & tender. Absolutely wonderful!!

(For you Virginiaites, here's a link to their webpage: The Great Maine Lobster Company)

I guess the only other food I'd go out of my way for is GOOD French bistro-type food. Luckily, we have good one that's only about 20 minutes away. Not that all French bistro food is difficult to replicate at home, but there's something very comforting about sitting down to a wonderful piece of perfectly cooked skirt steak with one of 4 expertly prepared sauces & the most fabulous fries on the planet. Even if this place was much further away, I'd still make the trek.