"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I was on my annual visit to Grandmother's house and wound up with strep throat. It was broth and jello for several days. Then when I finally got hungry and felt like I could eat she brought me cinnamon toast broken up in warm milk. Couldn't get it down.

My favorites when not feeling up to par are Hot & Sour Soup, Campbell's chicken noodle soup - made with milk, and cream of wheat - really runny. Looking at that I'm wondering what kind of wierdo I am?????

Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I guess we all had the same mom Chicken noodle soup, or chicken with rice soup, gingerale, 7-up, saltines. OH and that dam vicks vapor rub everytime I had a cold, but I must admit, it does work

Old 08-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Call me wierd, amber, but I love the smell of Vicks. Here's something even wierder - my first husband's dad used to make the kids SWALLOW the stuff.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I love the smell of Vicks. Brings back the days of being sick in bed and Mom rubbing Vicks on my chest and back. I don't know if it was the Vicks or Mom's hands that made me feel so much better. Now when I'm all stuffed up with a cold, out come the Vicks.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #25
Executive Chef

7-up. that was the only pop/soda/carbonated beverage we were allowed as kids. I was sick a lot as a child, I am convinced because of my culinary challanged mother. The instant I left home at the age of 17, I have only been sick one time. I had strep throats almost every winter, and was given these horrible foot ball shaped lozenses. I was also put on Penicillin daily for one year, to try to kill the strep. I was too young to protest that intervention!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #26
Master Chef

Ooh - one more thing I just remembered from childhood days: sometimes when we woke up in the middle of the night due to sore throat issues, we were given half a fresh lemon with a lot of sugar sprinkled over it to suck on until we fell back to sleep.

I come from a 100% Czech background, & most of my parents' "remedies" came from grandrelatives recently from the old country.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Yeah, Vicks - still love that stuff. Worst was mustard plasters on the chest. Aw geeze there was torture - supposed to do something for a cold, I think. I can remember having to take an antibiotic of some kind for a kidney or bladder infection (Grandmother said from sitting on cold concret curbs to put on rollerskates) it was flavored orange. To this day most artificail orange flavored things will still kick up the gag reflex! Coughs got warm honey with lemon and bourbon. Maybe that explains why bourbon is still my fav. drink?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:24 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
7-Up and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Oh, and buttered toast.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 PM   #29
Head Chef

Vicks, Hot Black Tea with cinnamon and ginger and Mild tea mixed with some honey and lime to sip.

I also remember mom and grandma making us some soft rice with moong dal and we had it with a fresh dollop of pure ghee (when it hit the warm rice it melted and got all gooey). Those days no one cared about calories or ill effects of it on our body but they were good days nonetheless.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Call me wierd, amber, but I love the smell of Vicks. Here's something even wierder - my first husband's dad used to make the kids SWALLOW the stuff.
I've heard of that, swallowing it or stick it up the nose Imagine the burn.