Foods you grew into

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
OK, on this same concept, what foods do you love now, but hated as a child. "Acquired tastes."

I absolutely hated cottage cheese and blue cheese an now love both of them. I didn't like most cruciferous vegetables, and now love them.

I can never really admire people who decided they hated something when they were 5 or 6 and refuse to have an open mind about it now that they are 50 or 60. What did you really dislike as a child but now love?

Onions were dispised in my youth, and now embraced. Still not a tomato fan when they are in their natural state, but I have no problem with most tomato products. Go figure.

Bleu Cheese (aka: BLEW CHeese :-p )
and cherry tomatoes.
I used to HATE them, now I love em both.

I had my 1st try of sushi in Oahu circa 1977 and I dont remember this but my dad told me I hate a huge amount where no one else would try it. :LOL:

I hated stew but now think of it as comfort food. Same for oatmeal.
I would not touch seafood of any kind as a child but now it is my favorite!
I still, to this day, won't eat a lima bean though! ;)

Asparagus. My mom used to cook it to death and I thought that was the only way you could eat it. I hated it with a passion. At a holiday I was served some that was cooked, but still crisp. I was taught to always eat what you were given when you are a guest so I ate it. I am so glad I did. It is now one of my favorite veggies.

I never liked onions as a kid, but as I aged my tastes changed and now could not think of cooking without them.

It took me years to et into all the sushi thing which all my kids love. My oldest introduced the whole family to.But now I love it.

Peas, spinach (greens of any sort), asparagus, carrots, sauer kraut (although I have always loved cabbage that was not kraut). Some I found I liked after I had my own family and the others were thanks to my oldest daughter encouraging me in the last decade.

As a child the thought of meatloaf made me ill. Now, its one of my favorite comfort foods.

As an adult, I disliked curries for several years, after the fifth or sixth try however, I developed a taste for them, and now I'm addicted. I'll make a curry dish or get Indian take out about once a week.

Onions was one.... I still don't like their texture and usually when I cook with them, I leave them really big so I can pick them out or chop up finely so I don't see them.

Oysters... mom always made oyster stew, which I loved the stew and omitted the oysters. Then one day, I was trying to get all the oysters I could.

I am of the thinking now, I will try everything at least once before deciding if I like it or not. Even if it was something I did not like as a kid.

Prawns (scampi). I was just totally irked by the look of them, so I refused to eat them until I was about 10. Then, at my cousin's house my aunt served me this heavily breaded fried prawns, not being able to see what's inside + seeing my cousins joyously devouring them, I ate them also and oh, yum, one of the best things I ever had eaten!! Then afterwards I learned they were actually prawns... :ohmy: but I guess I already had that "prawn girl" in me, I happily accepted the fact and decided prawns were my new fave food. If they were, say, escargots, I would have blown chunks right away!!

Beets and most veggies but especially beets---my mother was not a cook--her idea of veggies was to open a can----ughhhhhh---then I accidentally ate borscht overseas- about 6 months ago---OMG it was to die for it was so delicious----Unfortunately I still HATE liver but love most fresh or frozen veggies---not canned.

Hated meatloaf, sauerkraut and liver and onions. Now I make meatloaf and sauerkraut all the time. But still can't eat the liver and onions.:brows:

I just recently discovered that I like cottage cheese, thanks to my youngest grandson, and I can now eat okra, if it's in a soup.

Back
Top Bottom