"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Foods you hate

There are a lot of foods I hate, and would never eat. I don't like tomatoes, although I do like tomato sauce and ketchup, I hate the tomatoes themselves. I'm also not a big fan of the banana, but it's not as bad as a tomatoe. I once met someone who didn't know there was an "e" on the end of "tomatoe"; that was funny.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Steve, welcome aboard. Actually there is no 'e' at the end of tomato. One only adds it and an 's' to make the pleural of them, as in tomatoes.

Love the lovely things, raw or cooked in any way.

For some strange reason have a visceral dislike of bananas. Cannot abide the smell. If someone has tossed one in a garbage bin where I am sitting I will smell it, ferret it out, and move it to some other place.

Odd? Sure.

For some odd reason I can eat plantains, love those buggers fried and served with many Cuban or Latin/South American foods. Fried plantains with a plate of picadillo, nothing better.

Other than the dreaded banana, only shun hard boiled eggs and boiled cauliflower. Can understand that hard boiling an egg is a good way to preserve the thing and carry it about, so I forgive the folks who first ever did that to the oeuf. But the cad who decided to boil a poor, unsuspecting cauliflower to death and make it unpalatable, well, I can only hope there is a place in the afterlife where he will have to eat the stuff three times a day, every day.

Again welcome aboard.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Head Chef

Eggs if the white and the yolk are not amalgamated, if that's the right word. Love omelettes, can't abide fried eggs, poached eggs, hard-boiled eggs... The white is too odd in texture and the yolk too rich. Very odd.

Oysters. No idea why people like them. I've thought long and hard but have decided against giving my description of them. I don't think the admins would approve and doubtless everyone else would be appalled!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Irons
Hi all, my name is Steve Irons. I am a chef at the Cellar in Fullerton, CA. Im happy to join this forum. I know we are going to share fantastic recipes and also have some fun. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Irons
There are a lot of foods I hate, and would never eat. I don't like tomatoes, although I do like tomato sauce and ketchup, I hate the tomatoes themselves. I'm also not a big fan of the banana, but it's not as bad as a tomatoe. I once met someone who didn't know there was an "e" on the end of "tomatoe"; that was funny.
Steve, welcome to the forum and good luck in your careere.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Head Chef

LOL. Fennel, as I often say: I want to like it, I cook with it and try it a few times a year but just cannot like it. Although when I love them I love them, large prawns can be a bit repellent to me...every now and then I think they look like curled fingers, and then however good I know they taste I have to pass on them.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Cook

The ultimate horrible food is flourescent jello salad with shredded vegetables.

The is a special circle in **** for the person who perpetrated this.

It is very, very rare that I do not finish food I am served when invited out.
Once was a "cocktail" of shrimp and grapefruit in a sweet whipped cream sauce...
The other was a peanut soup you could stand your soup up in (apparently a favorite of Jimmy Carter...).

I generally detest sweet and sour or sweet and salty dishes.

"Wonder bread" type bread is pretty far up there too.

I hate it when people who know better turn a great steak or roast into shoe leather - and like it that way.

As for desserts, I often pass these buy, and have often been repulsed by the huge triangles of tasteless cakes that have been thrust at me over the years.

With regard to drink, Retsina and pastis/ouzo are at the top of the list, along with Baily's and Malibu (God help her, my daughter drinks those abominations!).
Oh, overoaked 14% Caberent from wherever and similar styles of Chardonnay are not my cup of tea - at all - either.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
"Hate" is a bit stong a word for me, Despise and Loathe are much nicer :))

anything Overcooked (esp veg)
Most ways of serving Egg
Offal like Brains etc..

other than that, I`m fairly cool with most things :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Oysters. No idea why people like them. I've thought long and hard but have decided against giving my description of them. I don't think the admins would approve and doubtless everyone else would be appalled!
yeah, oysters can be like hockin' up a loogey. i can understand a person's objection to them.

i happen to love them. the brinier, more strongly flavored the better.

hey, if i'm gonna eat something that was scraped from a rock, i want it to taste like it was. not in a bad way, but like a taste of the ocean.

i don't really hate any food, come to think of it. maybe ika or ikura sushi. that's about it. i prefer ika cooked, and ikura reminds me of the bait i used as a kid to catch carp, suckers, and catfish in swampy eddies. yuk!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Eggs. I can't stand them in any way at all. Fried, hard boiled, mayo, scrambled, meringue, I just can't stomach them.

When I was about 3 my mom asked me what it was about eggs I did not like. I said it was the color. Mom asked what color I would like them. I told her green. She started making them green and I would eat them. Then one day she made the fatal mistake of saying that the eggs are the same, she only changed the color. I never ate another egg after that.

I really do hate the flavor and the texture as well, but I wished I liked them. It can be very limiting as so many things contain eggs.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I agree about mushy cauliflower and also fennel. I can't even eat Italian sausage that includes fennel. I don't eat raw oysters, or even stew, but love them fried. Collards are terrible, too. Most everything else I can either eat or push around on my plate enough to pass.