FoodSaver on Sale (8/21/14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just curious, what do you mean they won't fit in the machine?

Too much bag length on a roll, not width. The machine is made to store a much smaller roll. You can cut off a length and roll it around an old holder and still store it in the machine.

Last edited:
Yeh Andy, I do. Unfortunately it is my granddaughter and she live in northern NH. I think I will send her an email. Thanks for the idea Andy. :angel:

It looks like the 2 X 50' rolls is the way to go.
Anyone know if the product is of good quality?

Another question. To save on bag material and freezer bags when we had to use them, we would roll up a slab of ribs then tie it. A coil if you will.
This leaves an open spot in the middle that cannot be compressed.
I noticed yesterday when I took one of these out, it had lost its seal.

Should I be laying the slab out and use more bag material, or do you think it was just a coincidence the bag lost vacuum?
I could cut the slab in half, but I like to cook the whole slab at once.

I went to Costco yesterday to get some meat, refill a Rx and to check out the Foodsaver. I picked up the FS, put it in the carriage and headed to the meat department. Bought pork tenderloins, NY strip steaks, flank steak and bacon.

Then I started thinking about using the FS to seal all this meat I'd just put in the carriage. Pictured how nice it would look coming out of the freezer and being defrosted - no freezer burn.

Then I realized that's the way it looks now because of the way I double wrap meats. I put the FS back and checked out.

I'd say that it's more than just freezer burn that's improved. Meats (to me) don't seem like they have been frozen at all. I've had a couple packets of ground beef that I found 2 years later, still sealed still just as good as fresh. This to me is the real value of vacuum sealing. I like to vacuum seal stuff in the fridge freezer because things don't stay at a constant cold temperature in there since the door opens and closes a lot, causing more rapid freezer burn, this is avoided with the food saver.

...This to me is the real value of vacuum sealing. I like to vacuum seal stuff in the fridge freezer because things don't stay at a constant cold temperature in there since the door opens and closes a lot, causing more rapid freezer burn, this is avoided with the food saver.

Feequent door opening does cause a problem. However, I think the biggest cause of problems is the frost free feature of today's refrigerator freezer.

What's necessary to prevent freezer burn is keeping air away from the food. That's why the food saver works so well. But the fs is not the only way. I wrap meats tightly with plastic wrap then bag the wrapped pieces go into a freezer bag. This is a reliable process for me. That's when I realized that the fs was just a shiny new toy for me so I passed.

Feequent door opening does cause a problem. However, I think the biggest cause of problems is the frost free feature of today's refrigerator freezer.

What's necessary to prevent freezer burn is keeping air away from the food. That's why the food saver works so well. But the fs is not the only way. I wrap meats tightly with plastic wrap then bag the wrapped pieces go into a freezer bag. This is a reliable process for me. That's when I realized that the fs was just a shiny new toy for me so I passed.

You really do need to weigh the value you'll get from something before spending money on it. For me, I doubt that I'll ever be without one again, so it's worth the money (although my current one was a generous gift, I would have bought a new one when the budget allowed). But if your current system works, then that's $50 plus the cost of supplies saved.

It looks like the 2 X 50' rolls is the way to go.
Anyone know if the product is of good quality?

The reviews on amazon seem pretty positive on those rolls. I noticed that some Ebay sellers have even better prices, I might give those a shot next.

I went to Costco yesterday to get some meat, refill a Rx and to check out the Foodsaver. I picked up the FS, put it in the carriage and headed to the meat department. Bought pork tenderloins, NY strip steaks, flank steak and bacon.

Then I started thinking about using the FS to seal all this meat I'd just put in the carriage. Pictured how nice it would look coming out of the freezer and being defrosted - no freezer burn.

Then I realized that's the way it looks now because of the way I double wrap meats. I put the FS back and checked out.

Thats how we rolled for many years. Plastic wrap and then into freezer bags.
The FS was on sale and I have wanted one for a long time. Thats why we got it. Plus, now I can put Sous Vide on my possible future purchase list.
It was the thread on Sous Vide that had me looking for a vacuum machine.

We put up $400 worth of meat last week and for the first time ever, we were done in record time. Instead of two or three steps with plastic and freezer bags, the FS machine dropped it to one step. Vacuum bag and seal bag. Much faster and with a little practice, it will be lights out faster in the future.

The reviews on amazon seem pretty positive on those rolls. I noticed that some Ebay sellers have even better prices, I might give those a shot next.

Yes, it seems we can see savings by ordering online. Even FoodSaver had some decent deals when i looked.
We are supposed to get some coupons with the purchase and also a bag cutter when you register your purchase the FS machine.

Last edited:
Thats how we rolled for many years. Plastic wrap and then into freezer bags.
The FS was on sale and I have wanted one for a long time. Thats why we got it. Plus, now I can put Sous Vide on my possible future purchase list.
It was the thread on Sous Vide that had me looking for a vacuum machine...

I've wanted one too. I just had a frugal moment and decided to save the money.

If I were to decide I wanted to try sous vide, I'd have to buy the immersion circulator and a food saver.

I do my meats the same as you Andy. And I make sure I really pack those freezer bags. Less space for air. I took out a half of pork roast yesterday that I froze at the beginning of June. Not a bit of frost on it. Right now it is in the oven and when I go out into the kitchen, it tells me "Thank you for not letting me catch freezer burn." :angel:

I would love to have a FoodSaver, but I can't justify the space it would take. I'm not getting one until I figure out where I would put it.

I bought my FS about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. I love it, and if it died on me tomorrow I would immediately go get another one. I used to wrap meat in plastic wrap and ziplocks too, but there are many other things I use the FS for other than meats. I have frozen strawberries, mangoes, and blueberries for smoothies, pecans, almonds, spaghetti sauces, mashed potatoes....gosh, I don't know what else at the moment. :LOL:

I don't have a lot of counter space either, but made a space for it next to the fridge. It's an upright one, so it doesn't take up that much space, and I found I'll use it more efficiently if it's sitting out handy and I don't have to dig for it in a lower cupboard.

I would love to have a FoodSaver, but I can't justify the space it would take. I'm not getting one until I figure out where I would put it.

I have the same rule. Luckily mine sits nicely on top of my fridge, the fridge is black and the foodsaver is black, so it almost disappears. I have a small kitchen and every bit of space is at a premium!

Yes, it seems we can see savings by ordering online. Even FoodSaver had some decent deals when i looked.
We are supposed to get some coupons with the purchase and also a bag cutter when you register your purchase the FS machine.

My last order was from FoodSaver, they had a good sale and I ordered enough for free shipping. Get on their email list and you'll see whenever they are having a sale. I haven't seen the same sale that I got last year lately though.

I've wanted one too. I just had a frugal moment and decided to save the money.
If I were to decide I wanted to try sous vide, I'd have to buy the immersion circulator and a food saver.

Yep. I did not buy the FS last time it was on sale for this exact reason. I am frugal by nature and look for a way out of buying something each time I think I need it.
This time I figured I may not ever see $49.99 again, so I pulled the trigger.

I made space. But my wife had to find a home for the item I moved out of the way.

My last order was from FoodSaver, they had a good sale and I ordered enough for free shipping. Get on their email list and you'll see whenever they are having a sale. I haven't seen the same sale that I got last year lately though.

With the purchase, they encouraged registration and promised gifts and coupons.
Time will tell if giving them my email address was a mistake or not.

I made a small shelf that sits under the upper cabinets for mine. I still have the counter space since it sits so close to the wall yet it's always there for me when I need it.

Attachments

• Copy IMG_0221.jpg
    Copy IMG_0221.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 135
Back
Top Bottom