"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It looks like the 2 X 50' rolls is the way to go.
Anyone know if the product is of good quality?
The reviews on amazon seem pretty positive on those rolls. I noticed that some Ebay sellers have even better prices, I might give those a shot next.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I went to Costco yesterday to get some meat, refill a Rx and to check out the Foodsaver. I picked up the FS, put it in the carriage and headed to the meat department. Bought pork tenderloins, NY strip steaks, flank steak and bacon.

Then I started thinking about using the FS to seal all this meat I'd just put in the carriage. Pictured how nice it would look coming out of the freezer and being defrosted - no freezer burn.

Then I realized that's the way it looks now because of the way I double wrap meats. I put the FS back and checked out.
Thats how we rolled for many years. Plastic wrap and then into freezer bags.
The FS was on sale and I have wanted one for a long time. Thats why we got it. Plus, now I can put Sous Vide on my possible future purchase list.
It was the thread on Sous Vide that had me looking for a vacuum machine.

We put up $400 worth of meat last week and for the first time ever, we were done in record time. Instead of two or three steps with plastic and freezer bags, the FS machine dropped it to one step. Vacuum bag and seal bag. Much faster and with a little practice, it will be lights out faster in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The reviews on amazon seem pretty positive on those rolls. I noticed that some Ebay sellers have even better prices, I might give those a shot next.
Yes, it seems we can see savings by ordering online. Even FoodSaver had some decent deals when i looked.
We are supposed to get some coupons with the purchase and also a bag cutter when you register your purchase the FS machine.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thats how we rolled for many years. Plastic wrap and then into freezer bags.
The FS was on sale and I have wanted one for a long time. Thats why we got it. Plus, now I can put Sous Vide on my possible future purchase list.
It was the thread on Sous Vide that had me looking for a vacuum machine...
I've wanted one too. I just had a frugal moment and decided to save the money.

If I were to decide I wanted to try sous vide, I'd have to buy the immersion circulator and a food saver.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I do my meats the same as you Andy. And I make sure I really pack those freezer bags. Less space for air. I took out a half of pork roast yesterday that I froze at the beginning of June. Not a bit of frost on it. Right now it is in the oven and when I go out into the kitchen, it tells me "Thank you for not letting me catch freezer burn."
Old 08-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would love to have a FoodSaver, but I can't justify the space it would take. I'm not getting one until I figure out where I would put it.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #36
Master Chef

I bought my FS about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. I love it, and if it died on me tomorrow I would immediately go get another one. I used to wrap meat in plastic wrap and ziplocks too, but there are many other things I use the FS for other than meats. I have frozen strawberries, mangoes, and blueberries for smoothies, pecans, almonds, spaghetti sauces, mashed potatoes....gosh, I don't know what else at the moment.

I don't have a lot of counter space either, but made a space for it next to the fridge. It's an upright one, so it doesn't take up that much space, and I found I'll use it more efficiently if it's sitting out handy and I don't have to dig for it in a lower cupboard.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I would love to have a FoodSaver, but I can't justify the space it would take. I'm not getting one until I figure out where I would put it.
I have the same rule. Luckily mine sits nicely on top of my fridge, the fridge is black and the foodsaver is black, so it almost disappears. I have a small kitchen and every bit of space is at a premium!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

Yes, it seems we can see savings by ordering online. Even FoodSaver had some decent deals when i looked.
We are supposed to get some coupons with the purchase and also a bag cutter when you register your purchase the FS machine.
My last order was from FoodSaver, they had a good sale and I ordered enough for free shipping. Get on their email list and you'll see whenever they are having a sale. I haven't seen the same sale that I got last year lately though.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've wanted one too. I just had a frugal moment and decided to save the money.
If I were to decide I wanted to try sous vide, I'd have to buy the immersion circulator and a food saver.
Yep. I did not buy the FS last time it was on sale for this exact reason. I am frugal by nature and look for a way out of buying something each time I think I need it.
This time I figured I may not ever see $49.99 again, so I pulled the trigger.

Quote:
I made space. But my wife had to find a home for the item I moved out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My last order was from FoodSaver, they had a good sale and I ordered enough for free shipping. Get on their email list and you'll see whenever they are having a sale. I haven't seen the same sale that I got last year lately though.
With the purchase, they encouraged registration and promised gifts and coupons.
Time will tell if giving them my email address was a mistake or not.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
I made a small shelf that sits under the upper cabinets for mine. I still have the counter space since it sits so close to the wall yet it's always there for me when I need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy IMG_0221.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	21753  

Tags
food