"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Head Chef

For all you New Englanders out there, a Food & Wine show at Mohegan Sun CT on Jan17th

A few months ago I went to the food and wine shows at Newport RI and Foxwoods CT. Had a great time ( especially at the Foxwoods, where I got to see Jacques Pepin and Guy Fieri cook. While at Mohegan Sun for the Elton John concert, I noticed they would be hosting another food and wine show in January ( the weekend of the 18th and 19th). Im leaving the link here to anyone curious about it.

The Sun WineFest '09

Im planning on going to the celebrity chef dine around and the grand tasting in addition to a few cooking demonstrations & book signings.

larry

Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Head Chef

Although it doesnt seem like this sparked any interest, Tomorrow Ill be going to this food and wine festival. Im looking foward to sampling the many wines from the many vendors. Sampling the foods from all the chefs. Im also looking foward to seeing the cooking demonstrations of Mary Ann Esposito from Ciao Italia and Robert Irvine from Dinner Impossible. At night we will be attending the celebrity chef dine around, to sample all the chefs food. The proceeds will go to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundations and the American Liver Foundation. Should be a good time.

At the last festival I had the pleasure of seeing Jacques Pepin and Guy Fieri which was a blast.

Theres another show in Boston next week that I wont be able to attend.

larry

Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Head Chef

Sounds like a blast to me, Larry!

Where you staying?

Lee
Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
Head Chef

We usually stay at the Bellissimo Grande Hotel. Relatively new. Associated with Foxwoods, but only about 10 minutes from Mohegan sun. Nice rooms, and 1/2 the price of Mohegan sun. Worth the inconvenience of driving 10 minutes. Stayed at mohegan sun a few times, very nice, just not worth $450 a night for just a hotel room.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Head Chef

Back from the food and wine festival and had a great time. Saw mary ann esposito do a chicken with fontina, cream, tomatoes, parmesan casserole. Robert Irvine (dinner impossible, food network) do a flank steak with tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, red onions and Jacques Torres do a dessert, chocolate indulgence which was crazy good...

The celebrity chef dine around was incredible. Got to sample 20 + chefs food. And even as a vegetarian, there was plenty to eat. Another notable who was there was Elizabeth Falkner. She was the one who was on the Gingerbread house food network challenge who made that gingerbread cave that the judges hated. Here she made a parmesan pudding with roasted peppers and chocolate nib explosion ( like chocolate pop rocks)

Great experience, great time. Should look for food an wine festivals in your areas and check it out. This is the 3rd one i attended in 3 months.

pics =

My wife eating the chocolate indulgence dessert
My wife on Robert Irvines lap ( not sure which she enjoyed more)
Me and Robert Irvine, who is a really nice and funny guy. Dont let all that yelling and screaming fool you.
Robert Irvine and Christina Pirello. Cooks a vegan diet since she had leukemia, and credits this diet for curing her medical problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	of=50,332,442.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	6778   Click image for larger version

Name:	of=50,590,442-2.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	6779  

Click image for larger version

Name:	of=50,590,442-1.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	6780   Click image for larger version

Name:	of=50,590,442-3.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	6781  

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

Thanks for the report and the pictures, Larry! Very nice!

Between the chocolate dessert and sitting on Robert Irvine's lap, I know which one I'D enjoy more!

Lee