"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Weed, are they still pulling that lumber out of Superior that sells for top dollar because the cold water preserved it so well?

Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Weed, are they still pulling that lumber out of Superior that sells for top dollar because the cold water preserved it so well?
Living on the extreme Eastern end of the big lake, I haven't heard about that particualr enterprize. But I'm sure that any driftwood off of the many shipwreks would fetch top dollar.

People also pick up just driftwood and sometimes find interesting peices for display or for carving on. As teens, we would gather the driftwood and use it for beach bonfires.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #43
Senior Cook

*thinks back* oh yea, I almost forgot the word man had a plural. The closest I've been to another like me for 15 years would be my boy. So **** yea !!! And I ain't gonna wear no underwear...*finds dusty old coleman lantern and sleepingbag* Mah bones will be soooo sore. I'll just use a hand line with corn for bait. Grocery list: Spam, bread, beer and some chocolate for that sinking feeling in the middle of the day like Barney Fife had on The Andy Griffith Show.
The Fishing Hole
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #44
Executive Chef

I'll drop by. I might even try to get a line wet, but I haven't done any fishing since I was a teen. However, I would be willing to find a swimming beach, and get my waterproof metal detector out :)

I saw something on either Discovery or History Channel, about recovering virgin, old-growth logs that have been in Lake Superior for 100 years or so, then processing that. Yup, big bidness!

Now I've got to find my camping gear. Backpack, Therm-a-rest, sleeping bag, those I have. I can even bring a few cast iron skillets. Think a case of bacon would be enough? We'd have plenty of extra grease for cooking with :)

We can even set up a "casting school" for those folks who tend to catch a lot of stick bass. We'll just do what my dad did, and put a small rug out on the grass, arm our "trainee" with a rod, use a small weight, about half an ounce or less, and have them start trying to hit the rug from 30' away. When you can do that, move out to 50'. When you can hit that, switch to a small trash can, like you would find in your bathroom.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:47 AM   #45
Senior Cook

I forgot how much fun this was. Ya know, some of that bacon of yours sure would be good with this Allen
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #46
Master Chef

I'll bring spuds, a net for throwing everything into so we can put it in the cold water, and my ever-popular home made pancake mix. We might even try lashing a pole between two trees and having a flap-jack flipping contest, over the pole. If you drop it, you still have to eat it. We did that in boy scouts so many years back.

The only thing better than fresh fish and fried spuds on the beach, is waking up to the smell of bacon cooking over the campfire, and knowing that pancakes are waiting to be cooked fresh in a bit of the bacon grease.

And since this is a cyber-trip, there are no deer-flies, horse-flies, no-se-ums, mosquitoes, or black flies. And I don't want to see you guys wrestling around in the poison ivy! Any of you guys remember what it looks like?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #47
Senior Cook

I don't like bugs in my food and deerflies are the worse ever. They look like little striped jet planes on suicide missions.

Do you live by the 5 second law? If you can retrieve dropped food within 5 seconds, it's good to go. *bacon grease cheesecake*
Old 08-04-2006, 11:59 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
And since this is a cyber-trip, there are no deer-flies, horse-flies, no-se-ums, mosquitoes, or black flies. And I don't want to see you guys wrestling around in the poison ivy! Any of you guys remember what it looks like?

leaves of three, let it be. berries white; danger in sight.

goodweed in a speedo, modesty is not his credo.

(psst, g-dubya, you forgot ticks. wood ticks are cool to burn off with a lit cigarette, but deer ticks carry lyme's disease and rocky mountain spotted fever. and they're tiny little bastids.)
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:34 PM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
leaves of three, let it be. berries white; danger in sight.

goodweed in a speedo, modesty is not his credo.

(psst, g-dubya, you forgot ticks. wood ticks are cool to burn off with a lit cigarette, but deer ticks carry lyme's disease and rocky mountain spotted fever. and they're tiny little bastids.)
B.T.; You give me a mental image of me in a speedo just one more time, and I'm gonna import some fire ants from a place I used to live in, in the San Diego area, and plant 'em in your sleeping bag! Then we'll see who has the last laugh. I mean, that's just an ugly picture. As for the rest of the post, high fives! I had a tick on my shirt sleeve just the other day. It's now in that little tick heaven in the sky, garunteed!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
But please, bring soap and clean under-wear.

I don't wear underwear.